How to clean baby chicks backside?

I am very new to this baby chicken raising. The first night home some of my chicks had stuck on poop. I think it was due to the heating mat I had them on overnight.
I tried the soft cotton ball and cotton swabs minus dish soap.
The first one I cleaned did have a tiny bit of blood that come off on the swab. After cleaning the behind I put a looking cooking oil on the vent because I did not have petroleum jelly.
The next morning this chick was peeping loudly so I put some antibacterial ointment on the tiny vent.
Day two all the chicks that had poop stuck were ok, even if their bottoms were a bit greasy. Finally the last chick's butt was so bad I took it to the bathroom faucet and let a small stream of warm water run on it for a little bit and the poop dissolved. That method was the easiest. Even if I did need to sterilize the bathroom sink and faucet afterwards.

I am very new to this baby chicken raising. The first night home some of my chicks had stuck on poop. I think it was due to the heating mat I had them on overnight.
I tried the soft cotton ball and cotton swabs minus dish soap.
The first one I cleaned did have a tiny bit of blood that come off on the swab. After cleaning the behind I put a looking cooking oil on the vent because I did not have petroleum jelly.
The next morning this chick was peeping loudly so I put some antibacterial ointment on the tiny vent.
Day two all the chicks that had poop stuck were ok, even if their bottoms were a bit greasy. Finally the last chick's butt was so bad I took it to the bathroom faucet and let a small stream of warm water run on it for a little bit and the poop dissolved. That method was the easiest. Even if I did need to sterilize the bathroom sink and faucet afterwards.
Yeah, I've been running their bottoms under the faucet to soften the manure and then using a cotton swabs to clean up the remaining poo.

Yeah, I've been running their bottoms under the faucet to soften the manure and then using a cotton swabs to clean up the remaining poo.
When I got home from work last night I did the chick butt check routine. Had one that needed to be cleaned. Did the running water thing and added soap, It made a quick job of it.

Back
Top Bottom