How to clean chickens

elkauhane

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Shoreline, WA
I have purchased a flock of chickens (10) and they are great looking chickens, however where they live now it is very muddy so they are very dirty. Is there a good way to clean them up a little before I put the in thier band newly built new home? I know they will make a mess once I get them, but I woudl like to try and get some of the caked mud off thier feet and bodies. Thoughts????

We adopted 4 birds that were pretty muddy, too. I gave mine a bath in shallow warm water in the tub one at a time. They didn't even try to jump out.

They seemed to be chilled after so I wrapped them in a towel and used a hair dryer to dry them. My husband grew up on a farm and laughed hysterically. Maybe I'm just a crazy californian, but it did give me an opportunity to inspect them closely for mites. They have kept themselves pretty clean ever since. I'm glad I did it.

Maybe someone will correct me but I believe all feathered birds have an oil that is released on their feathers over time that cleans. Provide access to a good dry dirt/sand area and they'll give themselves a bath. Most of mine never stay muddy for more than a day, they take care of it when they want/can.

They will clean up fine on their own. But if you must, we wash ours in the kitchen sink with warm water and soap (e.g. Dawn).

For anyone thinking that is strange, we only do it before putting any in the Fair. :0

Great, thanks to you all who have replied.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom