1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to clean chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Minsara, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Minsara

Minsara Out Of The Brooder

I've got a 3 weeks old baby chick from a pet store.He is very smelly and there are dry mud balls in its feet.how do I clean my chick.please help!

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    How long have you had the chick?

I think you should try to clean it with plain warm water first.

If it were me I would put some warm water in a tray or bowl and gently try to wash the mud off its feet. They may need to soak a bit if it is a lot and dried. If the body is also dirty or mud caked you should probably rinse it off too being very careful not to have the water too hot or cold. It will need to dry completely in a warm place with no drafts blowing in.

I am no expert in chick bathing but I would feel like I should try.

I would then make sure it has a place to take a proper chicken dust bath whenever it feels it needs one.

3. Minsara

I've got chick yesterday
    thanks for reply

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There's really nothing to bathing a chick or even a big chicken. Just as 21hens said, get a basin of warm water and splash water onto any soiled areas. If you have to bathe the whole chick, no big deal. Just make sure you use baby shampoo, or something else very mild. Not dish detergent. Avoid scrubbing the delicate feathers.

Rinse well. And blow dry the chick! Believe it or not, they adore being blow dried. They may be a bit startled by the noise at first, but become used to it quickly. It shouldn't take long, on the LOW setting to get it dry. You really don't want to let it air dry unless it's in a very warm place with zero drafts.

5. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I have bathed a lot of both chicks and chickens. They seem to like the bath and do really enjoy the blow drying. Your chick will feel better after its clean,as well.

6. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
    Lol my chicken Dinking loved getting blowdryed when she was just a week old chick. [​IMG]

7. Minsara

Yesterday is rainy day.But Today is sunny day.I will do it today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by