how to clean/sanatize the brooder for the next chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jefra, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. jefra

    jefra Out Of The Brooder

    44
    0
    32
    Mar 26, 2007
    Utah Valley
    my 2 latest peeps, brahmas both, have had problems and one died this morning (within a few days of bringing them home) - the other's not looking so hot either. They were the ones i thought had the best chances - vaccinated and from a reputable store, but I don't know - there's quick, labored breathing (not from the heat lamp) and poop that looks mostly like clear water with a little, teeny bit of white and brown in them. I'm thinking the other won't make it sadly. I have my fantastic five who are doing just fine and are a bit older, and i've kept them separate from the new chicks (mostly cause of age) but i'm going to get new chicks and put them in the same brooder. I'm wondering what i can use to properly sanitize and clean out the brooder for the new chicks when they come?

    also - this is the first time i've put vitamin supplement in the chicks' water - is it possible i've ODed them? Or something?
     
  2. Picco

    Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

    786
    13
    181
    Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I take my brooder outside and hose it down and let it soak in a highly concentrated bleach solution. I rinse it out thoroughly and let it dry in the sun. Don't use cleaning products like lysol, these can leave a residue that can be harmful. Bleach is the best and its safe because it disipates after cleaning, leaving no residue. You might want to consider not using your brooder for a while and go with a cardboard box or plastic tote - just to be safe.
     
  3. justusnak

    justusnak Flock Mistress

    I have to agree with Picco....try to get another brooder...just in case. But clean the other one with bleach, and if possible, let dry in the sun outside. I would not use it right away! So sorry about your new peeps.....hope the next ones make it.
     
  4. jefra

    jefra Out Of The Brooder

    44
    0
    32
    Mar 26, 2007
    Utah Valley
    thanks so much!

    so - do you think it's possible i overdosed them on vitamin/electrolyte solution?
     
  5. Llysse

    Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

    434
    2
    141
    Mar 11, 2007
    There's no reason to start chicks out on electrolytes unless they've had diarrhea or have been particularly stressed, because... yes, it can make them very ill or even kill them, especially if they get too much in their system. Electrolytes are basically salts... with an overdose, it would be sort of like trying to survive by drinking sea water. Not a good idea, especially for a baby. If your other chick is still alive, try giving her plain water, if she's strong enough to take it. She may still be able to recover, if that's what the problem was.

    [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by