How to comfort kitty?

Sonia

Songster
11 Years
Apr 19, 2008
SE Oklahoma
Our little girl kitty is really upset over losing her buddy yesterday. I've been trying to spoil her as best I can but she's always been a bit wild and won't even let me near her now. How can I help her get over her loss? She's been yowling nonstop all night. If she'd hang out with me that wouldn't be a problem. Any ideas on 'hands off' comfort measures?

If she wasn't the cuddly sort to start with, you're in a bit of a pickle.

When we lost one of our cats the other cat was visibly upset for probably 2 weeks. But he was the cuddly type so he just got extra cuddling. About all you can do is try and catch her, wrap her in a warm towel (not hot, warm) and hold her for a while.

Poor baby - heartbreaking. Get some Rescue Remedy (Bach flower remedy) from a health food store or good pharmacy. A few drops in her water may help have a calming effect. It is a widely used remedy for stress.

Extra treats right now too - anything positive that can distract her even for short periods of time cannot hurt.

JJ

I gave her some raw bones last night. It was all I could think of. I don't think she touched them at all.

She'll come around. It's tough to watch.
When I was a kid, we had a German shorthaired pointer ( best dog ever ) anyway, she was due with her first litter and she went into early labor and birthed the pups while we were gone. Well, none made it and it was a full 2 weeks that she tore through the house and yard looking for those pups, whining all the while. There was really nothing we could do for her. Eventually she stopped and she was back to "normal".
Your kitten will come around. There is always the option of another kitten, but if this one is sick too, I wouldn't do it. I guess just ask your Vet.

We can't get another buddy for her for at least a month and then only if she tests negative. If she's sick too I won't expose another kittie to this illness. I just feel bad for her (this coming from a non cat person)

Back
Top Bottom