How to compost?

jphendrix

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Waycross, Georgia
I am wanting to start a compost pile using our chicken droppings and compostable foods and materials around the house. Can anyone give me some idea of how to do this? I have never done a compost pile.

Just pile it up. The bigger the pile the better. The combination of pine shavings and manure makes good compost.
You could make a 2 or 3 sided box to help contain it.
I always have anywhere from 25 to 100 chickens in 5 or 6 coops so I generate a lot.
I like to use a 3 stage composter. The fresh stuff goes in the first, when it gets hot it goes in the second and when that cools it goes in the third which is what goes on the garden.

Thank you both! I was thinking of just haveing s certain spot out back to just start piling it up, but when I looked it up on the net it was talking about building a box or having some sort of container. Kinda got confusing. I think I will throw everything in a pile! LOL! And let it sit.

Yes you can just pile it. If you turn it every time you add it will break down much faster. The good bacteria is aerobic so needs air.
Keeping it moist but not wet helps too. Sprinkle it generously in dry weather. If several days of rain are expected it doesn't hurt to cover it for part of the storm.

I had mine in a pile... but then things started rolling and blowing off the top and made a mess. so i got cinder blocks and made a barrier so everything stays in the pile.

good luck! :)

Thank you! That helps alot. I have just the thing to cover it with if need be!!!!!! Is there a certain distance from the house I need to put it? Will it stink really bad?

I had mine in a pile... but then things started rolling and blowing off the top and made a mess. so i got cinder blocks and made a barrier so everything stays in the pile.

good luck! :)
I may try something like that if I need too. I think we may have some old privacy fence panels I could use if I need too.

oh ya, a tarp will keep it together and warm it up to rot faster...... Mine is right between the house and the garden, about 10 feet away. It dont usually smell but now that i have the chickens i can smell their 'droppings'. but i think the tarp (or whatever u use) will help with that.

A good pile won't stink at all. If it doesn't get turned and gets real wet it can stink and that is from the anaerobic bacteria that thrives in an oxygen free environment.
I actually like the smell of a properly functioning pile.

Back
Top Bottom