How to control or prevent fowl pox in chicks less than 6 weeks

gladeeric

Hatching
Aug 14, 2021
Hi, I read that chicks can be vaccinated for fowl pox as young as 6 weeks. I do this,, but have sometimes gotten fowl pox in chicks from 2 to 6 weeks. When my chicks get it at that young age, its usually fatal. At the young ages the disease doesn't stop progressing until their eyes and mouth are so damaged they can no longer live. Does anyone know what would happen to a chick vaccinated for fowl pox at 2 to 6 weeks?

From what I have read, the vaccine is usually given at 8 weeks or after. What is your location? I would try to raise the chicks indoors away from mosquitoes for the first few weeks if possible. Then when they must go outside, then you could treat the coop with permethrin 10 spray which lasts 30 days. Screen wire can be placed over windows along with strips over doorways to keep mosquitoes out. The shed scabs from past infected chickens can remain in the soil and bedding, and become powdery and aerosolized, then inhaled by other chickens to get the disease. So hopefully by then, the chicks would have been immune.

Back
Top Bottom