How to cook a steak

Kudzu

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
OK, I don't eat chicken but I will swallow a beef steak whole. I have cooked a bunch (big green egg) and eaten a bunch, but I just ain't got it down pat. I realize it starts with a fine cut of meat, but how do you cook it. T-Bone or Rib-Eye, rare, medium, done, well done, I like um all. There are many well-known steak houses out there that do an excellent job, I want some of their secrets, anybody got any?

I like alton browns method from food network. it calls for rib eye. because they have more marbling they don't dry out as easily.
1. put cast iron skillet in oven
2. 500 degrees wait untill
it get really hot
3. little EVOO and what ever seasoning you prefer I like lowerys and stubs
4 heat up stove top
5 place steak in hot cast iron on stove top for 30 seconds - 1 min
6 flip steak one more minute
7 put steak in cast iron in oven for 2 min each side for rare 3 med 4 well ect
8 remove place in colander set in a bowl this is called resting the meat do this for a couple of min
9 while steak is resting sauté some mushrooms in the cast iron which has some grat steak juices in it throw in some garlic to.

10 EAT

Sure.

Start with a good cut of meat. There's not much you can do to fix poor meat except for drown it in BBQ sauce so you can't taste it.

Don't turn it until you see the juices start to dampen the top. Never poke a hole in it. Turn it with tongs (I use the silicon ones).

Only turn it once. If you wait until the juices barely start to dampen the top of the cooked side it will be medium. You can judge how done by pressing lightly on the top of the steak, The softer it is the less done it is. It firms up as it cooks.

On the grill, I sprinkle Lawry's Seasoning salt over the top when I first put it on, being sure to get some into the fire. No other seasoning.

In the house: take a heavy weight skillet and heat it up good and hot. Sprinkle it with table salt. Set your steak in the skillet and then don't turn it or move it until you see the juices start to dampen the top. Turn it without poking holes in it.

It should be dark brown and carmelized (yum). Then press on the meat gently to judge the doneness. A thick steak is perfect for me when both sides are browned. If you like it more rare, serve with the browned side up.

If you've never cooked like this, you have to discipline yourself to leave the meat alone. If other people are around I have to swat their hands to stop them from turning and turning and moving and looking to see what it is doing.

By the way, if the steak is frozen, I put it on the grill or into the hot pan, frozen, right out of the freezer. You can get a really good browned outside and a very nice rare inside if you start with frozen meat.

I don't have a famous steakhouse secret but I've been in the beef business and this is what I learned about steak: One secret is that you don't have to thaw a steak to cook it. Just throw it on frozen on med high grill. For any steak, you should only turn it once. To determine the done-ness of a steak you can press it with your thumb. The softer it feels the rarer it is. With practice you get to know a med rare steak by feel. I use a Canadian steakhouse seasoned salt called Hy's. A bone in steak will be more flavourful than boneless. If you buy a cryovaced boneless whole ribeye from a butcher you can age it yourself in the fridge and cut your own steaks to your liking and the aging will make them more tender.

Ha looks like Oregon Blues and I agree - s/he's faster though.
smile.png

I like to cook thinner steaks frozen, I can get a nice crust on the outside and keep it medium rare on the inside.

I'm not that familiar with the Green Eggs but I thought their virture was holding low to moderate heat so that you could cook something low and slow?

Maybe wrong about the egg but IMO you need very high heat to properly cook a steak.

Most important, start with a good steak. Around here they are pretty much impossible to find. I would rather have a good hamburger than a bad steak.

To me it's all in the marinade. Even a cheap cut, can be fab.. If it's in marinade. We usually make our own.. You just need fat/oil, something acidic, vinager, juice ect. and seasoning of your choice..

We like ours rare so on the BBQ fir a few min, per side.. To use it's all about the marinade..

I forget where I first saw this, but it's a NeverFail method for finding out how done your steak is:

Take your forefinger (pointer) and press the tip to the tip of your thumb.
With the fingertips touching, press on the ball of your thumb - this means a rare steak.
Use your middle finger (flipper) and thumb & this = medium
Ring finger & thumb = well done

I cook steaks - and burgers - from frozen.
Seems to keep them juicier and really doesn't take much longer.

Man, now I'm hungry for steak!
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like you already have some really good pointers. I agree it helps to start with a good cut of beef however I grew up with plenty of good beef but my mom sure didn't know how to cook a good steak. I actually learned to cook a good steak from my ex hubby and have an older son who perfected the technique enough to keep a small country cafe crowded with folks coming from large towns looking for a good steak. They both preferred charcoal grilling.

I season my steak with kosher salt, ground pepper and garlic granules. They have already discussed cooking times and methods. If I'm not grilling I heat a cast iron skillet until it is very hot over med high heat. I lightly oil it and add my seasoned meat, brown one side then the other, turn the heat down to low, put the lid on and cook to desired level of doneness. I remove it from heat, cover it and let it rest before serving, if grilling I wrap it in aluminum foil. Sometimes I finish it in the oven rather than on top of the stove. I have used rubs, marinades etc but this simple method has never failed me and the rubs etc while good have never been a big improvement.

Salt it before cooking, not while cooking.
Sear it good on both side on higher temp, turning only one time.
Cover and let it rest before serving.

Those are the key points. BTW, you can use the same method for pork steaks, chops or loin slices and for boneless chicken breast. I usually add some herbs (thyme, rosemary) to them before cooking.

Back
Top Bottom