How to cook him?

Athenzchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
Athens Ohio
I am butchering my almost 6 month old Welsummer roo this weekend, he's just too danged aggressive for my family to deal with anymore. Anyway, I'm wondering: Is he too old for frying? How would you cook him?

I would simmer him in some water, onions, celery, salt and pepper, until the meat fell off the bones, and then I'd make a lovely chicken and dumplings out of him.......
smile.png

You could probably roast him. I doubt at that age he would be tough, but if you use a nice moist stuffing and put him in the pan breast down he will be nice and juicy. But on the other hand, a nice coq au vin in the crockpot or chicken and dumplings sound wonderful too.

Let us know what you decide on.

Get creative and any way you go just throw out standard recipes, Low heat and slow cooking is the answer. Cut into pieces. the legs will take the longest to cook followed by the wings and then the thighs. Breastmeat cooks the fastest.
ETA
If I roast whole, I use 180 degrees for almost 5 hours. As said above, till the meat separates from the bone and breast down.

Last edited:
I think I just made myself hungry suggesting the chicken and dumplings.....I'm going to have to make that this weekend.......
droolin.gif

I have a copy of a chicken magazine that has recipes for "Tough old Birds". Lots of good recipes there, but I don't think your Rooster sounds very old.

You could roast him, I think, and rub some olive oil on his skin with some fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. OR, you could mix a little butter and white cooking wine, take a piece of cheese cloth, and dip it in that mixture, and then you lay it over your bird.......The skin will be so delicious......

UM, can ya tell I'm hungry this morning....
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom