How to cope with loss of top egg layer

That looks like were the hawk held the chicken down and began feeding on its back before the chicken was dead. Over the years I have rescued two living hens and one rooster from the clutches of hawks. The two hens had injuries similar to what you posted in your pictures, both hens soon died from their injuries. The rooster lived only because a flock of crows disturbed his lunch. When I arrived on the scene, the hawk was holding down the rooster with one foot and he was fending off the crows with the other. After I returned my .22 to the house and went back to dispose of the rooster, he was standing. As I got nearer he ran off and rejoined the flock. That afternoon when I fed, the little rascal was courting hens despite the fact that his feathers were disheveled. I know that he had been in the grasp of that hawk for 10 minutes before I showed up.

It sounds noble to give Teutonic Knight like powers to a majestic bird of prey, but it is seldom that cut and dried. The three "chicken hawk" species in North America evolved plucking grey squirrels off the trunks of hickory nut trees or by nabbing unwary song birds and bobwhite quail. Chicken hawks are not equipped to make quick and painless kills on birds or animals as big or bigger than themselves.

Last edited:
Well, from what I have read and seen, it seems like the hawk holds the prey down and then pretty much goes for the back of the head, pecks through the skull and it is over. That has got to hurt. What I cannot figure is how or where was my rooster. It may be that I have an unrealistic expectation of him. You say your rooster was pretty much handled pretty easily by a hawk who was simultaneously fending off crows.

I read somewhere that hawks will sometimes come back the next day to eat some more... the carcass is in the garbage but it is very very cold out tonight and I expect it will be good bait if I can get myself out of bed early enough. (I will).

Another factor in my case might be that I went in to work late today due to a late meeting. Before I left, I let my birmingham rollers (pigeons) out. They sometimes fly through the trees and I think the chickens may be desensitized by them. Initially when they saw the pigeons flying through the trees they would squawk but now they don't even flinch. I am going to have to make some changes.

Back
Top Bottom