1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to correctly place eggs in an incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tornado8070, Dec 12, 2010.

1. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    I recently purchased some eggs and a new incubator to hatch chicks. My incubator has 32 holes for eggs. BYC states that yhe proper way to place the egg is naturally laying on the side with the large end slightly upward. The problem I an having is that when placing the eggs in the holes laying on there sides there is not enough room for all of them. If I placed them pointed side down in the turner holes they would easily fit in the bator, since laying them on the side it takes up alot of extra room. Does anyone ever hatch with the eggs pointed side down? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time incubating, I know someone out there can give me some ideas and suggestions. Thanks ahead and have a Happy Holidays. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You do not mention which type or model if incubator you got. It might help us if you gave us that information.

It sounds like you have a turner, which is great. The standard way in a turner is pointy side down. When you go into lockdown, remove the turner and lay the eggs on their side on the floor of the incubator.

3. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    My incubator is a Reptipro 5000. Not sure if this is a good one or not, but it holds temp and humidity very well.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You put them small end down in the turner.

5. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    small end down. That way air pocket can lock at top

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by