How to cremate a bird?

Becrab

Chirping
Aug 7, 2018
Washington
I lost my favorite girl and I'm trying to figure out what to do with her remains. My yard isn't big enough for me to start burying birds and I'm not throwing her in the trash, so I'm thinking about cremating her. Is there anyway to do this without my property smelling like burnt chicken? I have a metal drum I was thinking about using, but don't want to mess it up and have to deal with a half burned bird.

You'd have to have a really hot fire going, and it would still smell awful. And the bones probably wuldn't burn, unless heated for a REALLY long time.

I know because I lost several chickens in a wildfire last year. During the evacuation pandemonium, I opened up all of the pens to give everyone a chance to run away.... evacuation of every one of the animals just was not happening, not enough time. When I came back and looked for them, there were what looked like roasted chickens everywhere, very little meat left, bones still intact. They still smelled yuck. And the chicks were turned into little chicken nuggets scattered everywhere. That fire burned through HOT, it melted metal into little rivers and decimated everything in its path.... but the bones were still there.

I'm so sorry you lost your girl. :hugs This is not an easy thing to deal with. We live in a very unpopulated area, so when we lose a bird we take it out into the forest and put it where it can return to the earth and to nature. Yes, it means scavengers take care of it, but this is nature's way and it works for us. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

You'd have to have a really hot fire going, and it would still smell awful. And the bones probably wuldn't burn, unless heated for a REALLY long time.

I know because I lost several chickens in a wildfire last year. During the evacuation pandemonium, I opened up all of the pens to give everyone a chance to run away.... evacuation of every one of the animals just was not happening, not enough time. When I came back and looked for them, there were what looked like roasted chickens everywhere, very little meat left, bones still intact. They still smelled yuck. And the chicks were turned into little chicken nuggets scattered everywhere. That fire burned through HOT, it melted metal into little rivers and decimated everything in its path.... but the bones were still there.

So sorry to hear, Shannon. :hugs I pray life gets better for you and yours.

I'm so sorry you lost your girl. :hugs This is not an easy thing to deal with. We live in a very unpopulated area, so when we lose a bird we take it out into the forest and put it where it can return to the earth and to nature. Yes, it means scavengers take care of it, but this is nature's way and it works for us. I hope you find a solution that works for you.
Sky burial, in a sense.

With a post hole digger, you can dig down about four or five feet to make a decent foot to foot & a half across burial location for members of your flock that need burying for the years that come. You can reopen the site and bury another in the same location. You can plant a (fruit) tree nearby to memorialize the location and the tree will benefit from your beloved pet's sacrifice as well. You can even erect a plaque to inscribe each of their names.

Back
Top Bottom