How to cull a rooster when you don't want too?

I have only done it once for a sick hen, and did it broomstick method. Dislocation of the neck. All worked well thankfully. I would be deeply distraught if I went through a situation like yours.
Yeah, you live and you learn. I've grown up in the country and on a farm so I've seen lots of stuff. I have to move on. Obviously I learned my lesson, and of course felt bad. It is what it is though. Glad yours went well

Actually I just did think of something. If you can find a chat thread for Australia or your part of Australia in the "Where am I! Where are you!" section of this forum you can maybe chat with your neighbors and see if any of them want him. You may have Craigslist or the Australian equivalent, basically a buy, sell, trade network for your area.
@Silkielee This one used to be the most active, but looks kinda slow now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...and-that-funny-little-island.598568/page-3476

How do you bring yourself to cull a rooster because you have too many?

I have let my Silkies breed and produce cute little fluffy things but I know I will have too many roosters, so after trying to sell them with no response, how do you bring yourself to cull a rooster that you keep just because you can't bring yourself to do the cull?
I would never treat my chickens bad and always feed and care for every one of them, rooster or not, but I don't want to keep roosters in a seperate bachelor coop. I admit I already have a cockerel separate in another coop because he looks good so I have kept him and given him some pullets for company but I have a young 9 week old that I know I will not want to breed with and he isn't a unique colour so I have been trying to sell him. Do I give him a few more weeks up for sale or do I cull? And if cull, how do I bring myself to cull it?
I have only killed one chicken in my life when she was very sick and I tried everything to help her, she was near dead so I ended her suffering poor girl, I was so upset about doing it but knew I had to do it to end her pain. So how on earth would I kill a perfectly healthy chicken!? And just because I don't want it? I feel so bad! How can I kill him if he doesn't sell? How do I bring myself to do it!? Is it better to do it young or just allow him to grow up a little more and live out his little life?
:hmm:(
I respect you as a humane person for understanding how much work and sacrifice it takes to put food on the table. If you choose to eat him, take comfort he received the best life ever and had only one bad day (compare to the grocery store bird who was never loved)

I’m not sure my mom will ever be fine. She freaks out every time even when I’ve had to kill sick birds. And she thinks “serial killers start on animals” 🙄🙄🙄
My coworkers love to remind me of that whenever I start talking about my birds.

I find it helps to spend a moment with the bird before hand, and just explain why it has to happen. They might not understand, but it helps me come to terms with it

I have only done it once for a sick hen, and did it broomstick method. Dislocation of the neck. All worked well thankfully. I would be deeply distraught if I went through a situation like yours.
Yeah, I used the broomstick method for two of my sick birds as well and then scissors for the quail since they’re so small. Although actually, the first chicken we had to put down, my dad thought he could break his neck in his hands but he did it wrong and the bird didn’t die so I had to do the broomstick method. That was horrible BUT luckily it was still over relatively quickly because I just IMMEDIATELY took him, held him upside down to calm him down, and did the broomstick right away, so it’s not like he really suffered since I did it so fast and immediately but still. I feel awful for letting my dad ever try that other method and the bird actually looked at me 😭

My coworkers love to remind me of that whenever I start talking about my birds.

I find it helps to spend a moment with the bird before hand, and just explain why it has to happen. They might not understand, but it helps me come to terms with it
Yeah, I usually always talk to them and calm them
down first and stuff but my mother is always freaking. I will only do it when she’s not home from now on.

Culling animals is tough. I use to use a pellet gun and a head shot to the brain. It is instant and painless. However on one roo he moved at the last second and didn't hit his brain. He freaked out as well as I did. I grabbed the hatchet and then ran after him. He made it to my work area of the garage before I could grab him. He was flopping around and I struck my finger instead of his neck with the hatchet. It cut length-wise on my finger and it left a good scar. The 2nd swing partially cut his head off. I let go as I thought the ax went completely through. The poor roo flopped around from the nerves with his head hanging on by the skin at a horrifying angle. His blood went all over the work area and on me.

It took me a long time after that to harvest another chicken. I also raised meat chickens but couldn't bring myself to kill them. The meat chicken in the video below grew so big that he weighed 23 pounds. I finally had to harvest him and his sisters after one broke a leg.

Pullets eating mealworms 😂
That big white chicken! That’s what people buy in the meat section of the store. Don’t forget to make soup after enjoying your roast chicken

Back
Top Bottom