How to cull a rooster when you don't want too?

Pics
I don't know if being empathetic is something you really try to do, it's just a basic human characteristic, that is unless you have a disorder of sorts. I'm sure you're empathetic enough, at least I hope so lol.
Maybe " I'm not good at expressing empathy or be open about emotions" would be more accurate in my case. I'm not a sociopath, I promise!

If you’re eating the birds afterward, it may be easier because they’re serving a purpose. I find it harder to dispatch a bird who’s not going on the table.

Here’s my personal checklist for meat processing day:
  1. Have everything ready before you before you start, including researching your method. Efficiency helps you get through it.
  2. This may seem silly, but it helps my family: say a prayer of thanks (if you pray) and/or say thank you to the bird for providing food for your family.
  3. Don’t hesitate while dispatching. You know what to do and you can do it.
  4. Take a break between birds if you need to. Don’t traumatize yourself.
  5. It’s ok not to eat the birds the same day. (I always order pizza on butchering day)
Thanks for your reply. I don't think I could butcher a chicken, cook the sweet little thing then eat it. Hard enough killing it.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I could butcher a chicken, cook the sweet little thing then eat it. Hard enough killing it.
Ok I had another thought. Before going through with all this bloodthirsty advice, try this. Tomorrow morning early, go for a walk or drive till you hear other people’s birds crowing. Then leave “Silkie breeding pairs for sale” flyers where you think chicken people might live. ***Edited to add, include photos of the Silkies on the sale flyers. You never know, someone may really need breeding pairs but have no idea any are available.

Last edited:
By the way just wanted to add I didn't mean anything by saying it was blunt! I don't think there was anything wrong with what you said at all. :) It was direct and clear, but not rude or anything in my opinon so no worries, no need to apologize!
Oh no, I know I'm blunt and I'm aware I rub people the wrong way often. But I feel like I talk down to people if I soften it up too much. I need balance.

How do you bring yourself to cull a rooster because you have too many?

I have let my Silkies breed and produce cute little fluffy things but I know I will have too many roosters, so after trying to sell them with no response, how do you bring yourself to cull a rooster that you keep just because you can't bring yourself to do the cull?
I would never treat my chickens bad and always feed and care for every one of them, rooster or not, but I don't want to keep roosters in a seperate bachelor coop. I admit I already have a cockerel separate in another coop because he looks good so I have kept him and given him some pullets for company but I have a young 9 week old that I know I will not want to breed with and he isn't a unique colour so I have been trying to sell him. Do I give him a few more weeks up for sale or do I cull? And if cull, how do I bring myself to cull it?
I have only killed one chicken in my life when she was very sick and I tried everything to help her, she was near dead so I ended her suffering poor girl, I was so upset about doing it but knew I had to do it to end her pain. So how on earth would I kill a perfectly healthy chicken!? And just because I don't want it? I feel so bad! How can I kill him if he doesn't sell? How do I bring myself to do it!? Is it better to do it young or just allow him to grow up a little more and live out his little life?
:hmm:(

I wish you lived closer because i would buy him.

Pic of chicken in question I may need to cull ..white fluffy on the right.. 9 weeks old now.. others in the same hatch I can't tell if they are boys yet so have to wait for their fate..
IMG_20210117_104659.jpg

Back
Top Bottom