How to cull a rooster when you don't want too?

I might be able to get a friend to butcher and eat him, he lives 6 hours away.. what age is good to eat a Silkie?.. no way could I eat the little fluffy but i know this friend is humane and ends his chickens life with a quick neck snap with no suffering at all. ..Do Silkies taste good? Not much meat though?

I might be able to get a friend to butcher and eat him, he lives 6 hours away.. what age is good to eat a Silkie?.. no way could I eat the little fluffy but i know this friend is humane and ends his chickens life with a quick neck snap with no suffering at all. ..Do Silkies taste good? Not much meat though?
They’re considered a delicacy by some people because of the black meat but he might be a bit young. Might be better closer to around 16 weeks ? But I’m not entirely sure.

My extra cockrells/roosters are sold to people who eat them. When I had a ridiculous amount, I just continued to feed and house them until they sold, and I lowered the cost according to how badly I wanted them gone. And of course offered discounts for bulk sales, but that's not relevant to you.

We dispatched one cockrell here because it just SCREAMED. It didnt crow, it just...on and on and on screaming. And I didnt mind the concept of it because it was a problem bird and definitely genetics I did not wish to further.

But I agree with someone up there ^ who said it may be easier to handle the death if the body goes to use. If a predator gets one of my birds, the body becomes bait to try to catch it. Maybe someone else would want to eat him and do all the work themselves.

I just sold the white cockerel but had to sell with a pullet for $20. It was to a lovely lady who will take care of them so I was happy. ..I will have more cockerels showing themselves soon so I'll have the same problem what to do with them... I want pullets so I can't sell every cockerel with a pullet.
hey that's a great solution to the immediate problem while you brainstorm for a better longterm fix

Are there any silkie or just chickens in general Facebook groups in your area? We have one in Middle TN and there's always people looking for silkies and other breeds to buy or trade as well. It's a good way to reduce your stock if you don't want to cull.
I'm not on Facebook 😮 shock horror I know haha! Thanks for suggestion anyway.

I just sold the white cockerel but had to sell with a pullet for $20. It was to a lovely lady who will take care of them so I was happy. ..I will have more cockerels showing themselves soon so I'll have the same problem what to do with them... I want pullets so I can't sell every cockerel with a pullet.
Congratulations! This is the outcome I hoped for you.

I admit I could keep less cockerels and still be able to work towards my goals. But, I keep in mind a specific female to go with each and every male, just in case I have to give up on chickenkeeping.
***Edited to add, hope I never land in the hospital and have to disperse the flock

Last edited:
Pic of chicken in question I may need to cull ..white fluffy on the right.. 9 weeks old now.. others in the same hatch I can't tell if they are boys yet so have to wait for their fate..
View attachment 2492372

Not that i doubt your ability, but how can you tell this early. I'm new to this still and have been told and read that you can't tell until about a year of age. Or DNA test. I'd like to hear your opinion because i want more silkies in my flock, so that way i know what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom