how to cure bumblefoot??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ellco505, Aug 2, 2014.

1. ellco505

ellco505 Hatching

Aug 2, 2014
    my chicken has had bumblefoot for the past 2-3 weeks. he is in the house and we are soaking it and putting antibiotic ointment in it and wrapping it everyday. we also got an oral antibiotic from the vet. it has gotten a little better but nothing amazing. he still wont put weight on it. we dont want to cut into it. what next? please help!!!!!

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings 9 Years

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    do you have pics?? there are many different ways to treat it, what i do is to get some ichthamol ointment- it is a drawing salve, they use it with horses to draw stones out, anyway, i give the bird a foot soak, then dab the salve on the spot, wrap in gauze and duck tape, vet wrap comes off too easy, then i give them 250mg of fishflex(cephelexin) is an antibiotic you can get at pet stores, give that for 2 weeks, change the bandage every day, the infection should pop out- it will come close to the surface and squeeze it out, when that is out, pack with neosporin. hope that hasn't confused you- if you can't find ichthamol, use can make a paste of sugar and betadine and use that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: