How to deal with hawks

Morelias

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
I have a coop and run but free range my chickens during the day. Earlier this week I found a hawk sitting on the fence line next to the coop all the chickens ran into except one. After chasing it away like a crazy person, I put the last girl in and closed the coop. They haven't been free ranged since without my supervision and I hate that for them.

What's the best way to deal with hawks? I don't have a livestock dog, I can't cover the entire backyard and I can't keep an eye on them 24/7. Is there anything that will scare/deter them? There seems to be a juvenile and parents living in the woods maybe a few hundred feet away. I hear and see 3 of them daily. I'm usually enamored by hawks but I'm just about ready to put an end to all 3 of them if I see them near my guys and gals again.

Welcome!
In the USA, all raptors are federally protected, backed by big fines and jail time.
We live with the hawks, and protect our chickens by keeping them in their safe coop and covered run if there's a problem with a hawk 'visitation'. Plan to keep them in for two or three weeks, or until there's no hawk watching your birds.
What species? And how old are your birds, and breeds? Losses to hawks tend to be bantams and younger smaller chickens, not the big guys. Some roosters will help, sometimes. Having shrubs, picnic tables, and other cover for your birds helps too.
Some guardian dogs will watch for flying predators, while others won't, and having a dog out there is a whole story in itself.
The good thing about raptor attacks is that it will be only one bird, not everyone, as if a fox came by.
Mary

I keep hawks at bay by feeding the crows, and my big dogs are usually out in the yard too. When the crows started hanging around, my hawk problems disappeared. Now just to get rid of coyote and coons... its a never ending battle really

Thanks guys. I have known about the migratory bird protection. I don't plan on killing these guys, but it did give me a mini heart attack seeing that hawk right next to them. I really just want to deter them. I think tree planting is in my future. More cover in their free range area would be helpful.

The hawks are red tails and my chickens are mostly bantams unfortunately. I only have 2 roos that are not known for their fighting skills nor defensiveness. I've heard placing shiny objects like CD's around the yard can be a deterrent, but that may be just an old wives tale.

We also have a ton of big crows in the area, but they only do so much. The hawks really run the show around here. For now, I'll plan on keeping them safe in the run until I get some more coverage planted. That seems to be the safest plan, but more info and experiences are definitely wanted!

Last edited:
"Our" RedTail Hawks keep the mice and rodent population in check and seem to be territorial mates. We keep our chickens in their Coop and Run most of the time and I'm building a "Chicken Courtyard" for lack of a better term to that they can have a safe place to Free Range from time to time.

Hawks and Owls keep the rodents away, and no rodents mean no snakes.

Can't have it all!

Unfortunately the best thing I can come up with is to keep bigger chickens! Around here I have Cooper's Hawks which play havoc with my bird feeders, but they're too small to take a large sized, i.e. Wyandotte, Cochin, Australorp and the like, bird. Likewise the Red Shoulder we've had move in recently. I actually like the Red Shoulder - she seems to have decimated the squirrel population.

"Our" RedTail Hawks keep the mice and rodent population in check and seem to be territorial mates. We keep our chickens in their Coop and Run most of the time and I'm building a "Chicken Courtyard" for lack of a better term to that they can have a safe place to Free Range from time to time.

Hawks and Owls keep the rodents away, and no rodents mean no snakes.

Can't have it all!

That’s what I tell my hubby when he complains about hawks. I tell him I rather risk some chickens than to be overrun with mice and rats!

Thankfully in my 2.5 years of chicken keeping I’ve only lost 2-3 chickens/guineas to hawks.

Back
Top Bottom