How to deal with Red Foxes in GA???

JacobH28

Chirping
May 6, 2023
Senoia, Georgia
Hello BYC community! Here in Georgia, red foxes are a protected species. However, they often pay my chickens a not-so-friendly visit and actually killed my only rooster today. How can I keep them pests away while it is illegal to kill them?

i am no hunter, but i have heard they are very hard to hunt. we had some success with a plastic owl and some of that anti fox spray (we free range). also foxes are very smart and learn your habits. we also seemed to have success by making a lot of noise randomly and running into the woods with the dog. apparently they are also very afraid of dogs. (maybe not tiny dogs though) anyhow, good luck.

Foxes are not very skittish animals. I have had them stand 60-70ft away with me shining a light on them. Some of them begin to ease into the trees/underbrush but others have just looked at me & then went back to eating.

The last fox I eliminated was coming to my backyard fence just before sundown. My dogs would bark and he would just stare at them. I walked out a couple of times and he would just stare at me. He was not afraid of me or the dogs so I had to eliminate him. They are a major rabies carrier here so Deptof Natural Resources won’t trap them. Instead, they give permits to kill them.

Back
Top Bottom