How to debur sharp edges on grandpa's feeder?

Could you cover all the sharp edges in electrical tape? It might be sticky at first, but not for long - chickens are dusty creatures! If you truly feel it is unsafe for the chickens, I'd drag the heck out of them on social media in order to get free return shipping - they're on Facebook & Instagram, light them up!
Yeah it's definitely unsafe. But shipping options are difficult. I got all the way thru making a shipping label on UPS, $34, but apparently wanting to drop it off (saves $18) makes me a terrorist. Maybe I should get a dremel?

Man, I work in sheet metal all the time, if you are getting a sharp edge when cutting it to make a feeder something is wrong with the metal shear. But for a homeowner without tools, I would grab a hand size flat rock, sand stone would be best, and grind down those edges. Rasps are for wood, a small metal file would do. some 100 grit sandpaper on a block of wood would work too.

A short chunk of angle iron could be used as a scraper, use the inside corner to de burr the sharp edges. A deburred edge is pretty safe except for a rooster with a protruding comb that can get hung up on an edge. I finally started seaming the front sides of the feed opening instead of deburring them for that reason. That would be cheaper than paying to ship back the feeder.

I have been using my Grandpaws feeder with no problems for a few months now. I went and checked mine and it only has what you would expect for a sear edge on the sheet metal. No birds have been hurt and the feeder works very well and I wouldn't trade it.

I have only had to communicate with them during the buying stages but they were quick enough with there responses then.

Just a thought, but I wouldn't use any tape on that feeder are anywhere else in the coop or run because those silly birds will figure out a way to remove it and try to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom