How to decrow a rooster

As much as I hate that video, I would think this facility is no longer running since its around 3 years old. Plus, I think this hatchery is for commercial egg meat operations only since that's what this video is implying. I do wish more people learned about chickens especially roosters so they can admire the animal and not just frown upon it. We aren't allowed to have chickens but all we got was a letter. I guess they're just tolerating it. I BET our city/neighborhood council think you need a rooster to have eggs!

I was told by somebody that dumbkane sp does it. It supposively silents the crowing for a year, it's only legail to buy it in I think january, any other time it'l illegal.. like I sad just was told by someone. I never tried it as I as told it cost 400$ each time

The anatomy of roosters is different than mammals. We have vocal chords in the back of the throat, and these can be altered with moderate diffuculty and not huge risk - that is how dogs are debarked. Birds make their crowing noise from inside of their chest where the trachea splits into the two bronchi, and surgery there is difficult, dangerous and has several serious possible complications.

I read a lot on byc and it bothers me to come across some threads where people comment on things that they have no experience with. I have spoken to 2 different vets who perform the decrowing procedure they have walked me through the procedure. I assure if done by either of these vets it is done humanely and yes there is a risk with any surgery most of the risk in this case comes from the anesthetic not the procedure, both vets i have talked to have had very few complications and have done this on hundreds of birds... It DOES NOT cost "many of hundreds of dollars" both vets i have talked to charge around $150 for the procedure or sell decrowed birds for $200-$300 dollars. Other threads talk about how they do it with chemicals that burn the birds voice box... LOL it is not done by burning anything, and no chemicals are used. Others say they remove the voice box, this is also FALSE. a tiny incision is made at the base of the birds neck to expose the syrinx aka "voice box" and a TINY TINY TINY incission is made on either side leaving a small permanent opening allowing air to ecape from the voice box and into the clavicular air sac... Once healed this causes NO pain or discomfort to the bird... If you dont know what you are talking about please dont post giving advice their are people on this site that do know their stuff let them be the ones to give advice as you are more than likely blowing smoke up someones butt, and could end up giving wrong advice that could damage someones pet... Another option that works well is the NO CROW collar i am currently using it on one of my roosters and it works great and the bird doesnt act like it bothers him as he mates, eats, drinks, and even crows at a low volume... There are many benefits to keeping a rooster so re-homing or getting rid of a rooster may not be everyones first option... There are other options out there!

Back
Top Bottom