How to defeather a chicken

sarousi

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2016
I have a dozen birds or so, and am using them primarily for eggs. Eventually, I do plan slaughtering them for meat. I know normally to remove feathers after the slaughter, they are scalded in hot water and then put in feather picker to remove the feathers. Here is my issue, due to religious dietary laws, I cannot scald these chickens. What are my alternatives? Can I skip the scalding step and put the chickens in feather picker drum, would that even work?

I have a dozen birds or so, and am using them primarily for eggs. Eventually, I do plan slaughtering them for meat. I know normally to remove feathers after the slaughter, they are scalded in hot water and then put in feather picker to remove the feathers. Here is my issue, due to religious dietary laws, I cannot scald these chickens. What are my alternatives? Can I skip the scalding step and put the chickens in feather picker drum, would that even work?
I think I'd change religions, cull the birds, scald them, clean them, put them in the freezer, and then convert back.

Are you for real?

You could just skip the plucking and skin the birds instead of trying to pluck them. 

I've done that, and it fine when just want parts, but I often enjoy roasting a chicken whole, and the skin really keeps the bird moist.

Back
Top Bottom