How to deter a skunk?

bellium

Songster
5 Years
Apr 8, 2018
hudson valley, ny

We set up a trail cam last night to get to the bottom of who’s been chucking the chicken feed all over the yard. Now we know! For reference, our chickens free range in a 1/2 acre section of our property which is fenced in with a 5’ post-and-rail fence, reinforced with wire. The coop is secure and I’m not worried about loss of chickens - the coop is also reinforced underneath so this skunk is climbing the fence at night to get the food.

Any advice on how to humanely deter the skunk, or do I just need to start taking the food in at night? I don’t kill animals purposely, so that’s out. I just bought a treadle chicken feeder - would that help or are skunks intelligent enough to figure that out? If he/she wasn’t making such a mess I wouldn’t mind so much, but I’m going through feed too quickly!

We set up a trail cam last night to get to the bottom of who’s been chucking the chicken feed all over the yard. Now we know! For reference, our chickens free range in a 1/2 acre section of our property which is fenced in with a 5’ post-and-rail fence, reinforced with wire. The coop is secure and I’m not worried about loss of chickens - the coop is also reinforced underneath so this skunk is climbing the fence at night to get the food.

Any advice on how to humanely deter the skunk, or do I just need to start taking the food in at night? I don’t kill animals purposely, so that’s out. I just bought a treadle chicken feeder - would that help or are skunks intelligent enough to figure that out? If he/she wasn’t making such a mess I wouldn’t mind so much, but I’m going through feed too quickly!
Hi! Make life unpleasant for mr stinky. What I’ve done is moth balls and a nice wide Barrier around the hen enclosure, at least 3 feet out. Can use things like decoy owls. Security lights. I would flood the den constantly spray with the hose when he ran out, I knew exactly where he lived. I have also successfully trapped skunks and relocated them. But you’ll have to take them like 10 miles out. They’re really not as bad as people make them out to be. Maybe bring in the chicken food at night? That’s what I do as well. Good luck!

Hi! Make life unpleasant for mr stinky. What I’ve done is moth balls and a nice wide Barrier around the hen enclosure, at least 3 feet out. Can use things like decoy owls. Security lights. I would flood the den constantly spray with the hose when he ran out, I knew exactly where he lived. I have also successfully trapped skunks and relocated them. But you’ll have to take them like 10 miles out. They’re really not as bad as people make them out to be. Maybe bring in the chicken food at night? That’s what I do as well. Good luck!
Also sidenote on relocating them if you trap them. I don’t know what your laws are where you are on that. In Michigan and Wisconsin it was legal to relocate them but that may not be the case elsewhere.

Hello! Can you put hardware cloth around the bottom perimeter so he can't climb, if a skunk can climb that so can a racoon.
They said the chickens have a 1/2 acre fenced in area. Hardware cloth all the way around that would probably be close to $1,000 🤣
Besides I'm pretty sure a skunk or raccoon can easily climb up hardware cloth.

Ugh! That's a face palm moment. We didn't have any raccoons climb our run that's made of hardware cloth, only a fox tried to get in by digging, but we have an apron to prevent digging.

Back
Top Bottom