How to Disinfect a Chicken Coop

Star Chicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
I need to disinfect my whole chicken coop, but I don't know how or what to use! I have scaly mites and am working on killing them but now I have to disinfect my coop and kill off the remaining mites. I would love it if you could help me out!

Thanks I use DE but was wondering about ho to was my coop with a hose brush and bleach?

I use the liquid sevin spray all over the coop. When it dries i sprinkle the DE all over.

I've never has lice or mites-thank the Lord. Sorry. I think the powder is best for their legs. I also heard of spreading vasaline o the their legs.

Ya I herd the same thing I was just hoping that the spray would kill the mites that were in the coop.

Dawn soap kills ticks and fleas so I use it to wash out the coops. I make a soapy mixture then I scrub the coop down let it sit for a while, scrub down again and use a bleach water combo to rinse. Then I hose it all off with water and let the sun dry the coop. I then repaint the surfaces. Once everything is dry I add DE and fresh pine shavings in the main area and DE and Fresh hay in the nest box areas. I also have vinyl flooring in the main area under the pine shavings. It makes clean up easier. The chickens are not always cooperative so I keep them penned out of the way but once I add the pine shavings and hay they are right in there helping me to spread it out. I only do the deep clean in the spring and in the fall if I can.
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom