how to dispose of offal?

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
What do you do with the guts, in other words? We live pretty much on a big rock, so digging even small holes is a pain... on the other hand, we only have trash pickup here once a week, on Fridays. Bleah.

We're getting ready to send a few roosters to freezer camp today, so I was just wondering what others do to dispose of "scraps."

A big metal trash can works well as a fire pit. Burn it all.

You can also freeze it all and put it out with the friday trash. I wouldn't just leave it to sit until pickup day.

We can't burn "trash" out here either. Fire/toxic chem hazard apparently. Recreational fires year round can be done provided it's with seasoned wood. Bet you have air quality bans in cali.

I usually toss the remains out in the woods here and let it go since if I spent 10 min digging a nice deep hole... something will come by and dig it all up anyways...

I feed mine to the pigs. They love it.
smile.png

However, the pigs are making a journey tomorrow, from which they shall not return alive, so until we have more I'll be freezing the offal and sticking the frozen bag in the trash on trash day.

You can compost offal -- the bacteria that break down garbage like the protein, so it breaks down very fast. Just has to be at a distance from your home, etc.

We compost everything left over from processing. If you layer it with enough carbonaceous matter it wont smell at all and it will make the darkest, richest soil for your garden. We layer ours with old bedding from the brooder and/or sawdust. If you don't have that, go to a lumber yard or woodworker and ask for some sawdust or wood shavings. We process up to 300 a month and our compost pile never smells.

I save the livers and hearts and the gizzards, also the blood. We freeze the livers and hearts w/the blood to use as fishing bait, and my wife loves the gizzards fried as a snack, is a southern thing. not much gets wasted in the country, it's pretty cool to be thrifty in this way.

AL

Back
Top Bottom