How to dispose old, wet feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ellie, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Hi,
    I clean out the chicken's run and have old feed that may have been wet. I don't want them to get any mold from this, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out where to put the darned stuff. I don't want to put it outside my fence because we have sheep and again, don't want them to get mold either.

I thought of putting it in the compost pile, but the same issue crops up so to speak.

What do y'all do with the stuff when you clean up?

Thanks,

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Can you put it in a trash bag, tie it up and put it in your trash can so that it can be picked up on trash day?

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Haha! That's what I do! Why save it? I don't save it because (I don't know why) I don't find it healthy for my chickens.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'd compost it or bury it under some trees I wanted to feed.

5. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    You know, I guess you are right on... in a black trash bag and to the curb...

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I just put it all in a big pile, the birds love picking through it and eating all the old, wet feed [​IMG]

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I usually compost stuff. If I have something especially nasty, I walk directly across the road in front of the house where it's a fifty foot, steep, rocky incline down to a marshy area. I then wing it over the edge. There's a groundhog that lives in the rocks halfway down that roots through whatever rotten stuff I've thrown over.

8. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Back before we built the feeding station outside the coop, the spilled feed would get scratched into the dirt floor along with all the chicken poop, old bedding, etc. (In my first coop, water ran through the floor during a rain, too.) When I shoveled out the floor it would stir up a hideous smell like rotting meat. And behind me would come all the happy chickens, digging up that good ol' marinated corn and chowing down. Never slowed 'em down a bit.

Of course, I try to keep them away from anything that's gone really bad - I throw it into the compost bin. Since chickens can fly, this is just a gesture, but it makes me feel better [​IMG]

The chickens never do read the same books I read. [​IMG]

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have 3 ponds on my place so i put it in the pond for the fish to eat.
    [​IMG]

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:beautiful picture !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by