How to dissuade new cats from chasing our hens?

Jersey101

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Jersey, Channel Islands
We got two lovely kittens a few weeks ago, they're a few months old now (about 6/7) and today I saw the more boisterous of the two chase our fully grown Indian Game. In this case I'm more worried for the cat than the bird because she has a nasty beak, and an equally fierce temper, especially when she's broody, but we also have a Faverolle who's much more nervous and 4 small breed chickens (belgian d'anvers mixes) who wouldn't stand much of a chance. In 20 years we've never had a problem with our previous cats or neighbours cats chasing our chickens! Any advice?

hi i had a small problem with my cats to. but you can flick train them. you bring them up to the chickens and set them down then flick them in the nose after a few times the will think chicken=flick in the nose hope it works
big_smile.png

I think most often, the chickens train the cats. I've also never had a cat injure a chicken, either mine or the occasional feral cat that wanders through. It can happen, I've read, especialy with feral cats, I just haven't seen it. I did use a garden hose to squirt one cat who had a habit of laying in wait for the chickens and frightening or startling them. She wouldn't get within striking distance of the chicken, she would just annoy it. A few good soakings stopped the habit.

Just an update in case anyone stumbles across this thread! - our cats have not been savaged by the chickens, nor have they eaten any of them - the cats soon learned that they got told off for chasing them and once the chickens learned they wouldn't actually hurt them, just stalk and rush them they realised they could put their little heads down and charge at the cats to scare them off!

My cat named Rooster loved to hide in the bushes and jump out at the hens and make them
D.gif
. He then would almost immediately turn around and run back under the bushes.
Then one day Mrs. Old Gray Hen and her 6 adopted baby chicks came a strolling by. Rooster did his ole jump out and I think before is back feet hit the ground that old hen meet him head one and chased and flogged his rear end for a good 20 yards or so.
Rooster no longer finds this entertaining.
lau.gif

Quote: Yes, this worked for my cat. Early on, I noticed her stalking chicks (I don't know if she would have bothered them) so I threw her over in a pen with a broody hen and her chicks . . . my cat has never even looked at chicks anymore.

When I lived in the city, we had feral cats everywhere and they never bothered chicks or chickens. One cat I discovered roosting with my hens. I later determined he was blind and he felt safe with the chickens. I found that cat a home.

Back
Top Bottom