How to do a staggered hatch with two incubators?

This guy appears to be dead. Greenish-tinged yolk seeping slightly around cracks. Another egg is zipping. Guess I’ll see what tomorrow morning brings and remove it.

Not sure why it would die at the start of its zip. Humidity is good. I did not interfere in any way (no emergency hole, no zip assistance).
I’m not sure what you are trying to hatch as far as breeds, but I can say that feathers / feather colors can look very different while they are in the process of hatching....
I don’t really see “green” in the photo.... but it’s a photo and you are there.

That baby was, however, malpositioned.
The zip should happen around the air cell on the fat end of the egg. That one appears to have tried to come out of the side.
Malpositioned chicks often take a lot longer (up to 72 hrs) to hatch, and have a much higher mortality rate.
I haven’t had a lot of them.... but I’ve intervened to help for the few that I’ve successfully hatched.
If they reposition themselves to try to get ready to push out, and they turn away from the “air” without the benefit of the air cell, they often are lost quickly, I’m sorry to say.

And sometimes they pass late because there was something wrong, despite the fact that they seemed to be doing well along the way....

Assisting is a touchy subject. I never did it at first.
My mind was changed by some videos posted here of some broodies helping their babies hatch.... if momma will do it when needed, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for us to help when the babies need a hand. Esp because many of the issues that come up late in hatching are caused by irregularities during the incubation process, and not “poor genetics” or “weak chicks”.

Anyway, it’s been a few days since your last update.
How did the hatch fare in the end?

EA8FBE1E-9486-4232-9EEB-936913D71995.jpeg
Internal pip- turkey poult

@HeritageFan thank you for your kindly worded and informative post. The egg I pictured had that big chip pop off then nothing. I missed that action. When I came upon the egg, the chick did not appear to be breathing. I stayed up late and was able to watch the next one zip. I discarded the deceased egg in the morning.

Looking at the photo after reading your post, sure enough baby was coming out of the side. I was too busy wondering *what* I was seeing (beak? Is it moving? Is it breathing? Is it shrink wrapped?) and didn’t notice *where* I was seeing it.

Babies have been popping out like popcorn. 11 now with one more chipped. Then I’m done with this staggered hatch business.

Though I am kinda liking the one incubator, one hatcher system. And it’s fun to see the younger babies gravitate toward and imitate the “big” kids.

My staggered hatch is done. Phew. 7-day spread. Two incubators worked perfectly. I moved eggs as they internally pipped and I could hear clicking. Thank you to the posters who shared their knowledge in this thread!

One malpositioned chick died at pip. 20 babies are happily bopping around the brooder.

The other problem with a staggered hatch is the age difference of the chicks. Their sizes are drastically different right now. At one week, I’d move them outdoors, upgrade their food and water containers, and raise the heat plate. But the day olds need shallow dishes and a lower plate.

It’s being worked out but yeah, another reason not to do a staggered hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_4248.jpeg
    IMG_4248.jpeg
    572 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom