How to Dry Out Poop On Grass???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rivers2011, Jun 14, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    I keep my chickens in a tractor and move it to a fresh patch of grass every other day. However, I'm concerned that because they're pooping on grass, the poop won't dry out and it'll create stink...esp with all the wet weather we've been having in my area lately.
    We also have an uncovered run, which is half grass and half cement. To be honest, I don't notice too much smell from the tractor (though it is there when you get up close) but the run is starting to get really stinky...

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    With all this rain, drying compounds like Food Grade DE won't be of much help. You're just going to have to wash it out with a hose off the concrete after you sweep it up. Can you expand the run area so or move it so the concetraton isn't as heavy? Best advice I can give you. [​IMG] We're all developing webbed feet in this crazy weather.
    Denise
    Paradise Found

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mainly I'm replying just cuz, hey!, you're in Port Perry!, I'm just N of Uxbridge, in fact I am driving to Port this afternoon to run some errands, LOL <waving hi>

As far as your actual question -- I've had tractored chickens on the lawn here, and not had stink problems. BUT, the poo does remain for a couple weeks (especially early in the season like now, when the populations of the flies and other insects that break them down have not gotten in full swing yet), and when you have prolonged rainy spells, yeah, it can be a bit messy to walk on, where' the tractor has recently been.

There is really nothing you can do about that though. Move to Arizona. Wait for January. That kind of thing [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    We have family in Uxbridge and toured all around, including PP, last summer! Beautiful area! [​IMG]

I turn on the sprinkler to dilute the poop. It sort of just washes away in to the grass!

5. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    haha, thanks for the replies!
    and have fun in Port Perry!!!
    glad to see others from the area on here!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just hose it down into the ground and let it absorb in with the rain

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by