How to easily make gate for temporary partition?

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
I am temporarily partitioning the run to keep the young ones safe from the big girls. I'm using plastic poultry fence, looks like chicken wire but it's green plastic. How can I easily make a way to get through the partition?

Thanks!

My husband built gates for all my pens by taking firring strips and making a frame and I stapled chicken wire to them. These are gates inside a large coup to separate pens. Works great. Here's a pic
100539_100_1805.jpg

You might try cutting the plastic fencing where you want to pass through and use bungie cords to hold the edges together when you want to close it off. I use old window screens zip tied together like fence panels and then I bungie cord them to the chicken yard fence. Works great for sectioning off a part of the pen just outside of a little house I use to grow out my chicks. The other chickens can see them so they get used to one another before I put them together
big_smile.png

Love the ideas. The firing strip gates are beautiful and I may end upmdoing that, but for now need something more immediate. Bungee cords sound good...

Keep the ideas coming!

I use 2x4 welded wire for a lot of temporary things. I use c-links, that screw closed, to be able to open it up as a gate. Dog leash type clips can work, too. I always have a lot of c-links around, though.

I also bought some of those foam covered wires that are like a giant twist tie, like on a package of bread. We used one of those when a gate latch broke, until we could get it replaced. I usually have some large twist ties around that I've saved from packaging when we buy items. A strand of heavy plain wire can work, too. I always have some of that around, too.

I have some new chickens in a temporary space in my garden. I am using little carabiner clips to hold chicken wire in place. This keeps the chicks out of my fall veggies, but I still have easy access. When I want to get in, I just unclip, and roll the wire back.

I guess you don't have to use pink, but mine look something like this:

698aaccd9ce.jpg

Back
Top Bottom