1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to easily make gate for temporary partition?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I am temporarily partitioning the run to keep the young ones safe from the big girls. I'm using plastic poultry fence, looks like chicken wire but it's green plastic. How can I easily make a way to get through the partition?

Thanks!

2. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    2 pallets screwed together and then put on hinges? Quick, easy, and cheap!

3. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    My husband built gates for all my pens by taking firring strips and making a frame and I stapled chicken wire to them. These are gates inside a large coup to separate pens. Works great. Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

You might try cutting the plastic fencing where you want to pass through and use bungie cords to hold the edges together when you want to close it off. I use old window screens zip tied together like fence panels and then I bungie cord them to the chicken yard fence. Works great for sectioning off a part of the pen just outside of a little house I use to grow out my chicks. The other chickens can see them so they get used to one another before I put them together [​IMG]

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I like your setup! [​IMG]

6. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Love the ideas. The firing strip gates are beautiful and I may end upmdoing that, but for now need something more immediate. Bungee cords sound good...

Keep the ideas coming!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I use 2x4 welded wire for a lot of temporary things. I use c-links, that screw closed, to be able to open it up as a gate. Dog leash type clips can work, too. I always have a lot of c-links around, though.

I also bought some of those foam covered wires that are like a giant twist tie, like on a package of bread. We used one of those when a gate latch broke, until we could get it replaced. I usually have some large twist ties around that I've saved from packaging when we buy items. A strand of heavy plain wire can work, too. I always have some of that around, too.

8. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    I have some new chickens in a temporary space in my garden. I am using little carabiner clips to hold chicken wire in place. This keeps the chicks out of my fall veggies, but I still have easy access. When I want to get in, I just unclip, and roll the wire back.

I guess you don't have to use pink, but mine look something like this:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by