How to encourage broodiness in ducks

I am going based on my experiences but I am no duck pro.
That said, my Muscovy ducks often share nesting duties, but I can't comment on ducks of different breeds. As I mentioned, they rarely leave the nest once broody, and do so only for a stretch, food and water. When they do leave the nest, it is well covered with feathers and shavings. Did your ducks cover the nest before they went out?
Have you marked the eggs? If you think they are truly broody, you should be removing any new ones. Marking them would also let you candle the eggs at about 10 days to see if they are viable.
I think the fake eggs work in some cases. My chickens can be fooled by plastic Easter eggs. My ducks will occasionally push an egg out. I think they know which ones are not viable and remove them. Again having mine marked means I can check a second day so if same egg has been removed by them, I take it out.
I don't think you need to cage off a corner for them. In fact it might create more problems. How will the ducks get out when they need foot and water? If the sharing of the nest doesn't work out, one or both of them is going to get hurt. A broody duck is very capable of defending her nest.
Final comment would be regarding your location. I am in Eastern Ontario, Canada. We still have 2 feet of snow on the ground and below freezing temperatures at night. My ducks and peacocks have not started laying again. The chickens have just started. There is no way I would allow any of them to start on clutch of eggs because weather conditions for any hatching chicks would be deadly.

Did your ducks cover the nest before they went out?
Yes they do every time, and I can tell they're starting to not get up unless absolutely necessary, even then its been in 2-3 minute increments max. What I appreciate about both hens sitting there is that if one has gotten up, usually the other has stayed.
Have you marked the eggs? If you think they are truly broody, you should be removing any new ones.
Its been 2 days now and neither have laid another egg. I assumed they won't until the hatch is complete.
I don't think you need to cage off a corner for them. In fact it might create more problems. How will the ducks get out when they need foot and water?
I would tend to agree, but since I have males along with females I'm planning on leaving the mama(s) and the ducklings in the cage, which I'm also including a wide open area with a roof for a brooder. Basically it'll be an outdoor brooder, with a heat plate (in case mama doesn't do her job), feeders, waterers, and a small kiddie pool designated for the broodies to take breaks in.
I am in Eastern Ontario, Canada. We still have 2 feet of snow on the ground and below freezing temperatures at night. My ducks and peacocks have not started laying again. The chickens have just started. There is no way I would allow any of them to start on clutch of eggs because weather conditions for any hatching chicks would be deadly.
Good lord thats cold! I'm in South Carolina, and no more snow (or any this winter for that matter) and the last stretch of cold days will be tomorrow-wednesday and the lowest it will be is 25*F. Will that be an issue?

If the sharing of the nest doesn't work out, one or both of them is going to get hurt. A broody duck is very capable of defending her nest.
If I separated the two hens wouldn't the one on the outside of the cage miss her eggs? Do you think she'd stay broody but make a separate nest somewhere else at that point? I'd hate to separate them if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom