How to encourage ducks to have babies?

A lot of domestic ducks have had broodiness bred out of them too. Always an exception to the rule though. Try leaving the eggs an see if anyone takes the que, nothing more enjoyable than watching mama duck with her ducklings.
Is there a better time of year to do this? Ive been leaving 2 eggs so they don’t “forget” where to lay. Should I let them keep the eggs?

I have placed some fake eggs into the spots in my duck house where i want them to lay their eggs and so far it worked well. The usual accident still happens, like pool-eggs, downhill rolling eggs, peppermint eggs, but mostly they lay their eggs in the house.
Now Khaki Campbell ducks being mothers, that's another story: This duck breed has been grown for maximum egg production and going broody is bad for producing eggs, still some KC's go broody. But i have also heard that they are the most horrible mothers of all ducks, abandoning nests of hatching eggs, killing their own ducklings either actively or by just abandoning them, so you should be prepared to adopt the hatching eggs or the ducklings just in case momma is scared away.
This YT video is an example:

She'll either brood or she won't. I have Runners that came from Runner broodies and my girls have never even thought about going broody. Best broody ducks are Muscovy. They have hatched Runners and Buffs for me.
Isn't there a saying that Muscovy Ducks hatch already broody?

Interesting! The people who gave us the ducks said they went very rapidly from two ducks to 13 which is why we have them. So I think it can happen, just not sure when. We let them free range and their prior owners didn’t. We also have two drakes, 3 hens. Yes, I’ve sent the boys active but being new to ducks have no idea how much is too much. It’s not like the chickens which have bare spots it they’re the favorites, is it?

Drakes can be abusive and you can tell by feathers missing on head and neck don't let it get down to skin before giving your females a break. Drakes have such high hormones not their fault but they can be very hard on their females. I'd just leave eggs and rotate them out so they don't go to waste and you can still eat them. That way there are always eggs in the nest and hopefully you'll have a broody soon. I don't know where you are in this world but here everyone is just getting back to laying so no sign of a broody yet. Plus its always best for ducklings if they hatch in warmer weather.

Back
Top Bottom