how to encourage the start of egg-laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bibliophile birds, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Manok-Tao

Manok-Tao Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    biblio
    I like your personal tag lines on your signature.
    sounds like a great place you have.

the cursing is a true story, my son in law was there, still brings it up as a laughable story.

2. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Barbeque really close to the coop [​IMG] That should send the message loud and clear! j/k!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    calf manna......... it is also called Protein booster.... I gave it to my girls for 10 days..... and walla ......... eggs

5. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Manok-Tao: it really is. it's the farm i grew up on. i've been away for most of the past 8 years (college and then work) but i've been back almost a year and i'm very happy to be.

Bravo: i just sent 4 off to the freezer, so i thought the others might take the hint. no such luck, as yet.

gritsar: THANK YOU for sharing that link. totally wonderful!

Bedste: can you get organic calf manna? i didn't think you could.

6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Leah, you just load up some of those chickens and bring them over to my side of town. Mine can give them a good talking to. Also read on here someone took a bucket of KFC down to his coop and threatened his chicks with it.

Honestly though - patience is it's own reward.....think eggs, think eggs, think eggs.

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    You can repaint their coop their favorite color and stand on your head but truly they lay when they are ready. I know it feels like FOREVER but they will lay eventually. I tried everything - even switched to game grower crumbles which may or may not have helped - fed them pepper flakes, golf balls in the nest box.

When their waddles and combs are vividly bright red, they are squatting, singing egg song - those are the signs to look for and when they reach sexual maturity and their little bodies start ovulation they will lay eggs.

I was right their with you around November - One of my chickens still has yet to lay her first egg 5/15 hatching but that could be due to late molt. So that is the secret: Time and Mother nature.

Caroline
    [​IMG]

Hang in there! Some of mine were over 6 months when they layed their first eggs.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Whats a "walla?" [​IMG]

Seriously, adding additional protein to the diet wont ensure egg production, simply by its presence. It will provide the needed nutritionals once egg production is underway, but it wont reliably kick start the process in and of itself. I've used 'Calf Manna' in the past and if it made the difference, well... I wouldn't suggest buying it just for that.

However, 'Calf Manna' is, indeed, great stuff and should be included in your feed stores. Add a half cup to your favorite pancake recipe sometime - it's good for people, too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  9. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Quote:Now that was worth the read. She should write children's books! [​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Now that was worth the read. She should write children's books! [​IMG]

About children that misbehave!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by