How to euthanize a chick?

Woods-Witch

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Central California
Hello group.

I have a sick chick that has been suffering for two days now and I think she is going to have to be euthanized.

It's a long story but it turns out that the three Delaware chicks I bought a month ago were not vaccinated as I thought they were. It took some detective work on my part but I was able to determine that the chicks did not receive a Marek's vaccination and I believe that that is what is wrong with my chick. All of my other chicks came from a trusted source and were vaccinated.

The first and smallest of the three Delaware chicks died a week ago after becoming paralyzed on one side. Her death came quickly after the paralysis set in. The second of my little Delawares has now become paralyzed on one side and is suffering. She's been this way for two days. I was hoping she would die in her sleep as the first one did but she's still hanging on. I pour food on the floor of her carrier so she can get it and have water in a measuring spoon where she can get that too. She doesn't eat or drink as much as when she was healthy but still has some appetite. I haven't been able to see her poo but the first chick that died had sort of green diarrhea right before she died and had one swollen eye. I can't stand watching her suffer anymore. In addition to the paralysis, what little comb she has is pale and looks dry and peeling like you would after a sunburn.

The horrible person who sold me these chicks has refused any contact with me. I'm ashamed to admit I even resorted to some name calling in my last email to him and still nothing. He had the hatchery he got the NOT vaccinated chicks from email me with some cock and bull story like the coward he is.

I hoped the paralysis might reverse but it doesn't look like that is going to happen so I'm left with euthanasia. I can't afford to pay a vet to do it and definitely can't do anything myself. I'm going to see if my husband can help me when he gets home from work. This is my favorite chick that used to sleep in my lap and follow me around outside. I'm devastated. I want her death to be quick and painless. I read online about making a gas chamber but I can't stand the thought of that. It would take too long. I'm very attached to her. She's only four weeks old so what would be the best way to do what needs to be done quickly?

Thanks.

Anybody? My husband will be off work at 5:00 PST and I really need to know how to handle this with the most dignity and respect and least fear and pain as possible.

I don't think you are going to want to hear this, but my understanding is that breaking their neck is how it is usually done. I don't know of anything you could give it to put it to sleep and not have it wake up. Sorry for your loss.

You can do an advanced search on this site ,
but I do the vinegar & baking soda.
Get a couple containers - 1 for the little guy to sit in.
the next one would need to be large enough to hold the container with the bird & that
has an airtight lid lid.
place the baking soda in the larger container, add the vinegar - and
close the lid with the smaller container & bird ...
It is all over with very quickly - less trauma for me.
good luck
hugs.gif

Sorry I didn't have an exact measurement for the ingredients.

With too much, it will boil over, not enough, may not get the job done.

This method will create carbon dioxide, & reduce oxygen levels, a quiet killer.

Okay. Thank you both. I don't know how my husband is going to feel about this. I might just have my dad come over and do it. I tried looking up some neck breaking information but I started getting sick so I quit. I wish my chick could get better somehow:hit

A few options you may want to consider:

Nitrogen gas is completely painless. It kills due to oxygen deprivation. Animal feels sleepy, passes out and dies.

A pellet gun is a good option also. Aim for the head and it will be instant lights out. I use a pellet gun for dispatching mice.

Don't use CO2. It is not painless. Whatever is being killed feels like it is being suffocated.

I don't think you are going to want to hear this, but my understanding is that breaking their neck is how it is usually done. I don't know of anything you could give it to put it to sleep and not have it wake up. Sorry for your loss.
Yup. That's how the people do it at my feed store.
It's probably the easiest/most readily available option.

Sorry.
sad.png

We've had to put down two girls. One was a pullet, one full grown.

A sharp hatchet gets the job done very quickly. I doubt there's time for them to feel a thing. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom