How to euthanize a chick?

You can do an advanced search on this site ,
but I do the vinegar & baking soda.
Get a couple containers - 1 for the little guy to sit in.
the next one would need to be large enough to hold the container with the bird & that
has an airtight lid lid.
place the baking soda in the larger container, add the vinegar - and
close the lid with the smaller container & bird ...
It is all over with very quickly - less trauma for me.
good luck
hugs.gif
Wow. I guess that's one way to do it. (i'm totally NOT judging you, btw)
I will remember that, but closing a little animal in a container seems like it would be more traumatizing (for me) than just killing it as you would a bird to be eaten... Just my opinion.
Do you really think that it's less traumatizing for the bird? To be closed in a container? Rather than just - boom, you're dead - ?

Once again, i'm just curious. I'm not doubting you.
wink.png

I would behead with a pair of very sharp gardening shears or something similar. One smooth and compete motion. It sounds graphic but would be completely in your control and would be clean and instant and a guarantee. Very sharp with a sure hand.

Personally, gas of any kind makes me nervous because I just feel like it is more complicated and seems like there is more room for error -- it feels like more of a comfort to the person doing the deed than the actual animal being put down. I also just personally feel like being held is a calmer death than alone in a box.

In the end you have to do what you feel the most comfortable and confident with -- that is really the most important thing. What works for you is what works. Sorry for your losses.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful suggestions. I tried a bandaid splint in one last act of desperation but paralyzed is paralyzed, splint or not. I know what's wrong and what I have to do. I think I'll go with the pellet gun. For some reason, it seems the easiest and quickest to me.

As of today, it looks like my last remaining healthy Delaware is a rooster. I didn't want a rooster but at least he's healthy (for now). If I want to get any decent number of eggs I'm going to have to pick up some more chicks and go through this all again. I'll definitely be going to my trusted source!

Sigh.

Thanks again to everyone. I feel a little more confident about what I have to do now.

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful suggestions. I tried a bandaid splint in one last act of desperation but paralyzed is paralyzed, splint or not. I know what's wrong and what I have to do. I think I'll go with the pellet gun. For some reason, it seems the easiest and quickest to me.

As of today, it looks like my last remaining healthy Delaware is a rooster. I didn't want a rooster but at least he's healthy (for now). If I want to get any decent number of eggs I'm going to have to pick up some more chicks and go through this all again. I'll definitely be going to my trusted source!

Sigh.

Thanks again to everyone. I feel a little more confident about what I have to do now.
Good luck! I didn't even think of the pellet gun, but I actually think that that's the best idea for you.... Just kinda keeping yourself at a distance.... ya know?

No part of putting an animal out of its misery is easy There are many options. And opinions about others way of doing it. In theory the animal isn't going to be healthy enough for wondering what is happening. Regardless if they can think or not do it quick and precise. That way whatever fear is short lived. Best of luck to you. Btw I use the vinager and bakingsoda method. I take baby chick wrap it up comfy. Set in container. Usually it closes its eyes. I slip in baking soda cup. Pour in vinager close lid. My container has a clear lid. Literally chick closes eyes gives a very quick twitch and it is gone. I have never seen gasping or signs of distress but I don't speak chick either. There is no way any of us can say what is the least painful. It is still a life lost. Hope everything works out for you

Well, everything really did work out for the best. My husband was reluctant to kill the chick so we left her for the night and my plan was to have my dad do it the next morning.

However, when I went in to feed and water her the next morning, she was hobbling around the carrier! She was barely able to move around and still dragging her wing. So, I put a bandaid on her legs and decided to delay the death sentence another day. The day after that she was moving around much better and even moving her limp wing a little. Things have looked up from there. Today, she actually went out to the coop for a bit with the other chicks. She is doing SO much better.

I have no idea how she survived. A lot of positive energy was directed her way and it's really miraculous. I'm still watching her closely in case things go downhill but my hopes are high. She isn't able to get up on the low chick perch with the others yet but she is flapping her wings and getting off the ground just fine. She walks a little funny now but is able to run across the coop with the others. I've nick-named her Stumpy. My only concern now is that "she" isn't growing tail feathers and might just be "he"! lol I already have a mini Delaware roo so really hoping that's not the case but, if it is, I know which rooster I'll be keeping.

I'm so grateful to everyone for the advice and suggestions and I'm still prepared for what will have to be done should things go downhill but, for now, it's looking good. At night she/he is hanging out with the three brand new three-week old Buff Orpington babies I brought home to finish off my flock! Yay for chicky miracles!

Back
Top Bottom