How to explain to kids we are culling the cockerel

Oh gosh no, not at all. I grew up in a subdivision and the closest thing to an atypical pet animal we had was a flying squirrel one time. Here's the truth on the cow we slaughtered that I couldn't eat. It didn't taste good. To me anyway. It tasted different from what I'm accustomed to and that combined with the fact that I had named it and looked into its eyes and saw it grow from a baby to an adult just made the meat unappealing to me. Believe me I know I'm not a true farmer. It's cool, I don't profess to be.

Oh gosh no, not at all. I grew up in a subdivision and the closest thing to an atypical pet animal we had was a flying squirrel one time. Here's the truth on the cow we slaughtered that I couldn't eat. It didn't taste good. To me anyway. It tasted different from what I'm accustomed to and that combined with the fact that I had named it and looked into its eyes and saw it grow from a baby to an adult just made the meat unappealing to me. Believe me I know I'm not a true farmer. It's cool, I don't profess to be.
Don't feel bad. I used to spend my summers on my uncle's farm and could never eat the beef at dinner. I have no idea if it was good or bad. I just knew that the summer before I was bottle feeding it, or sitting in the apple tree feeding it apples. No he didn't make me do animal chores. I would get up and run outside after him to be with the cows. :wee Hard to eat something you had so much fun with.

Hard to eat something you had so much fun with.
I eat the animals I love. I raise them from chicks to the table and aim to make their life enjoyable for both them and me. I keep it in the back of my mind that someday, it's going to be dinner. I also keep their happiness and well-being in mind at all times. I offer them the highest quality food available, supplementing with nutritious and fun foods for them to play with and eat. They have spacious living arrangements with entertaining roosts, perches, rocks, branches, trees, sand piles and the like for them to sit on, climb or fly up to, roll over, hide under and on, and bathe in, all forms of fun for them, that's often rewarded with some juicy bug that they quickly gobble up. I know exactly what medicines they've taken and when. I could never again eat a chicken raised for "Tyson" and the like, as I don't believe that the animals are shown the same level of respect that they get here at home.

I think it's a valuable lesson for them to learn but it's up to you when you think they are ready. I think it's important that we teach about agriculture and rather than have people argue that meat production is evil, it would be better to encourage and foster humane and sustainable practices.

A girl I went to college with told me about when she was in 4th grade (about 9-10yrs old) the teacher asked them to share with the class what they had done that weekend and she told the class that she had helped her dad to slaughter and butcher goats. Apparently many of the kids were upset by this and said cruel things about her being a murderer. When she asked them where they thought meat came from they argued that it came from the store and that killing animals was mean. As far as they knew meat came out of a machine in a package and that was that. This led to her arguing with them that the meat they ate used to be an animal which many of them denied and so she started calling them all stupid by that point because she was a frustrated 4th grader and ended up being sent to the principles office. Sounded like they just told her to use nicer words or something.

I eat the animals I love. I raise them from chicks to the table and aim to make their life enjoyable for both them and me. I keep it in the back of my mind that someday, it's going to be dinner. I also keep their happiness and well-being in mind at all times. I offer them the highest quality food available, supplementing with nutritious and fun foods for them to play with and eat. They have spacious living arrangements with entertaining roosts, perches, rocks, branches, trees, sand piles and the like for them to sit on, climb or fly up to, roll over, hide under and on, and bathe in, all forms of fun for them, that's often rewarded with some juicy bug that they quickly gobble up. I know exactly what medicines they've taken and when. I could never again eat a chicken raised for "Tyson" and the like, as I don't believe that the animals are shown the same level of respect that they get here at home.
I think this is the perfect way to approach it, but alas, I am an imperfect human who cannot eat my chickens. I tried.

That sounds like trying to take the easy way out, and doing a disservice to the kids in the process.

When I was a kid, I had a couple bottle calves. I would always ask what happened to them when they disappeared, and got the "I Don't know" from my mom. Yet, I would notice the freezer was now filled to the brim with beef.. I don't really respect my mom for that.... I knew even at that age that's what cows are for.

Kids aren't stupid. Don't lie to them.

I know it’s important for kids (and everyone) to know where their food comes from. That being said, if an animal is a pet, a child will frown upon you saying “I killed it,” simply because as people, we get attached, and once the attachment is gone, we get angry.

I accidentally killed my rooster, Henry VIII II. I was very upset, even though he had terrorized my family for three years first. I didn’t tell my younger brother, who was very anti-Henry. Weeks after Henry died, my little brother was sad and “missed him” (even though he talked so much crap about him.) in my experience, kids are jerks, and if I had told my brother he would absolutely hold that against me to hurt my feelings.

I don’t know OP’s child, and I’m under the assumption that their kid is not a jerk and wouldn’t do that, but because of my experience with kids I wouldn’t let them know that I did it, although it was done. Kids ARE smart, and that’s why I take the easy way and suggest others do as well.

It's my understanding that early Native Americans, when successful in a hunt, would have a ceremony in which they would express gratitude to the Great Spirit for their success and also to the animal for giving its life for the survival of the hunter, his family and even his tribe. Even the tribe would later share in both the celebration and the feasting. I know this is still the case in some Native communities following a bear hunt. This has always seemed very civilized to me. Even today, in many households (ours included), thanks is given for the food before it is eaten. There is often a disconnect between the source of food and its appearance on the plate, and this is unfortunate. Any opportunity for education is taken, in our home.

Back
Top Bottom