How to fatten up chickens to eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by robdog, Sep 6, 2016.

1. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

How to fatten up chickens to eat?
    My tia came over and was ready to kill 2 for my mom but she said they were too skinny. What should I feed at a cost effective range to them.. They are delawares around 12 weeks old.... I got 5 of them as chicks hoping to breed them for more delawares but came out with 5 roosters.
    But just in general if they are too young another question is what would be the cheaper and better way to feed them 18% protein chick grow or pure cracked corn(which is the cheaper) for a few weeks?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    They are probably a little too young to have filled out just yet. Growers / chick feed would be ok IMO, and then maybe wait a little while longer?

3. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

How about when they are older 18-22 weeks to fatten them up would cracked corn work well?
    Its cheap where I live where its about $15 for 55 gallon barrel

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Cracked corn is candy. You're gonna get a bird with no actual meat and massive amounts of fat feeding that. Worthless for meat. An 18-22% juvenile or meat grow with corn, scratch, or pigeon mix added the last 1-2 weeks will make a nice bird. For hatchery Delawares I'd say butcher at 16-18 weeks for a decent size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by