How to feed a flock of all ages

Shellystanley

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2015
I have a flock of turkeys and chickens. I was feeding Nutrena All Flock layer pellets until our recent hatch. I got some starter feed for the chicks but now the older birds are refusing to eat the pellets. I've been mixing it half and half but they pick around the pellets. They free range and I see them eating a ton of crickets. I also give them any leftover fruit or veggies that we have. Should I lock up the chicks with the starter feed and only let the older birds have layer pellets? I feel bad doing that because they love being free to roam around with the big girls. But I also feel like the older girls need more than just starter feed. Thoughts?

Oh, I should add, I only started putting starter feed in with the pellets because when I wasn't the big girls would go eat all the chicks feed and not even touch their own feed. I thought that maybe mixing it would encourage them to eat out of their own container.

My flock ranges in ages from chicks to 2 year old hens. I feed them all a flock raiser crumble and offer oyster shell on the side for the layers.

Your big girls are eating the starter feed cause they know a good thing when they see it. If it's not medicated, I'd just switch the entire flock to starter as long as it's not over 20%. You might consider fermented feed as well. It gives the birds probiotics for a healthier gut, and breaks down the antinutrients in the grains so they are better able to absorb the nutrition that is there. Just offer oyster shell on the side for the layers, and everyone will be happy.

My flock goes on unmedicated starter as soon as I have chicks hatching. They stay on that until my pullets are at POL, then I switch to layer. But, honestly, the only reason I ever buy layer is b/c it is cheaper. They'd stay on multi flock year round, but layer is easier on the wallet.

Back
Top Bottom