how to feed a mixed group?

ben is a terror

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
I have a mix of birds in one pen. Adult hens all the way down to mom with week old chicks The mix includes some ducks and a goose. The ducks and the goose will be getting their own pen when it is finished. The chickens eat the waterfowl mix the ducks eat chick starter (non-medicated) and they all eat the layer pellets.I tell them to eat their own food but they don't listen.
lol.png
Is this safe for them to share? Is there one feed for all of them? I hate buying 3 feeds esp. the chick starter since there is only 1 chick. The others didn't make it during that freak heat wave. It was 100+ on day and 98 the other. I guess it was just to much for the little ones. so what do I do about the food issue?
Thanks

I had a similar problem and got tired of buying all the different types of feed. I have been feeding Nutrena Nature Wise 18% All Flock pellets to all my chickens except for chicks under 7 wks. They still got Dumor chick starter crumbles. I had one broody hen that hatched out 4 chicks and raised them with the rest of the chickens. They were fenced off so they could get at the starter feed but the rest of the flock couldn't get at the chick food. The laying chickens have ground egg shells for extra calcium available in large tuna tins screwed to the coop wall. So far this has worked better than layer feed as I was getting an occasional soft shell egg. This no longer happens. Check out there web site this feed is for chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese.

I also use an all-in-one and free choice oyster shell. I don't have time/energy/interest in feeding different feeds. They're chickens (or ducks
lol.png
) for heaven's sake.

Back
Top Bottom