How to feed mother chicken and chicks?

SillyChick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Hello

We have a broody hen who just hatched her first batch of chicks, and we're planning to move them in a bigger coop to have more space. But I was wondering how I can feed her and the chicks; if I give them chick feed the mom might not get enough nutrition but if I give them laying mash it might not suit the chick's appetite - how should I feed them?

Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

Momma hen can eat the chick starter/grower right along with the chicks its okay to feed her that too...she won't be laying right away anyway and when she does just add a dish of oyster shell close by that she can pick at if needed....

It's got added protein and she needs that anyway after hatching and setting for 21 days...good for her....

Last edited:
I have so many varying ages, and a rooster, I feed a general poultry feed anyway.

I offer oyster shell for the ladies.

I have a hen and one baby chick right now, and baby is doing really well - she can even catch her own grasshoppers...
lol.png

Mine free-range almost all day, they're not eating much food right now anyway, its offered 24/7 - but they prefer to go scratch around and find stuff to eat.

I throw out sunflower seeds, and mixed in some wild bird seeds/fruit.

Thank you!
smile.png
We'll be buying chick booster asap. Thanks again for your kind answers!

When Gracie was mommy of the year...no matter how I hand fed her treats or her food to help her recover from the brooding weight loss...she inevitably gave it to the babies....her job right now is to make the strongest babes in the land....and she will...and be happy for all the sacrifices. Hand raised she and ese are the pickiest untrusting eaters in the land...but she broke larger food and would call them over if she wanted them to eat it...and honked a big NO if she thought it wasn't quite right...Every time I pushed something on her...thinking I knew better and was helping...I was wrong and she was right...put out all the feed for babes and adults ... they will do whats best for them

Back
Top Bottom