How to feed raw egg yolk to chicks

Lutavian

Hatching
Feb 11, 2024
Hello,

Received my chicks 3 days ago, out of four two already passed. One was sick and was quick, the other wouldn’t eat or drink on its own - was lethargic and would stumble / fall every time it tried to move.

The other two, I cannot tell if they are eating. I’ve seen them both run around and drink in their own, never seen them eat the mushy food though.

I read it can be beneficial to feed them raw egg yolk to kind of jump start them and get them the nutrients they need in a pinch. My question is if I need to - what is the best way? What I was doing with the lethargic one before it passed was using a dropper to put little drops of electrolyte water mix on top of the beak so it would drink it on its own from there. Is the same method recommended for egg yolk?

Thank you

Sorry for the loss of the chicks.

We try to pick up chicks in person at the hatchery, when possible. This saves them from the shipping stress. We’ve had chicks shipped a few times, from at least 3 different hatcheries, different US locations. Only 2 batches arrived in great shape, two were completely DOA, another had a few living chicks -90% DOA. It’s tough. And now the USPS (only shipper of live chicks) no longer reimburses for loss.

Other than picking up live, in person, next best is to get lively chicks from a farm store. They have already removed the DOA chicks, and you’ll want to select lively ones from their bins.

Once home, we take the chicks and give them a drop of poultry vitamins (NutriDrench is the brand we use, from TSC, but there are others). We use a toothpick and get a drop on the end. Some chicks instinctively peck at it, some do not so we run the drop along their beak and they usually get some. After a drop, we dip beak in water, and let them raise their head to swallow. Repeat 1x. Then we sprinkle feed crumble around them and watch to see who is interested or lethargic. They get put under a heat source to sleep, drink, eat. Any lethargic chicks get more vitamins that night or next day. In addition, watch for poopy butt, where a poop will stay and dry up on their vent, blocking their vent and they cannot poop anymore until this poop plug is gently washed away -then blot them dry and place back under heat source. Poopy but can kill them, but they will become lethargic first, so you can treat it before it gets worse.

Exception to above: if they seem cold, we warm them up first.

Water: always offer fresh, clean, plain water, even if you have additive water. Additive water is electrolyte water or ACV water. Even electrolyte packs indicate plain water should be offered at same time.

Even under the best of circumstances (no shipping stress, robust chicks), death still can happen. Sometimes there is an internal anomaly you can’t see that they will die from anyway. Chickens are prey animals and are hardwired to hide any illness or anomaly until it can no longer be hidden, so it’s hard to see the beginning if any problems in chickens.

Good luck with the rest of the chicks!

Hello,

Received my chicks 3 days ago, out of four two already passed. One was sick and was quick, the other wouldn’t eat or drink on its own - was lethargic and would stumble / fall every time it tried to move.

The other two, I cannot tell if they are eating. I’ve seen them both run around and drink in their own, never seen them eat the mushy food though.

I read it can be beneficial to feed them raw egg yolk to kind of jump start them and get them the nutrients they need in a pinch. My question is if I need to - what is the best way? What I was doing with the lethargic one before it passed was using a dropper to put little drops of electrolyte water mix on top of the beak so it would drink it on its own from there. Is the same method recommended for egg yolk?

Thank you
Don't feed raw egg yolk to chicks. Feed them crumbled hard boiled eggs without the shell. They will get more benefit from the cooked eggs than they will from raw egg.

Absorbing the egg yolk while incubating is not the same as having it pass through their digestive tract.

The Benefits and Disadvantages of Eating Raw Eggs

"One study found that the body is able to absorb 90% of the protein found in cooked eggs compared to only 50% in raw eggs."

Feed both the white and the yolk.

How Much Protein in an Egg

"Both egg yolks and egg whites contain protein, but egg whites contain slightly more."

Unfortunately that one and one other passed during the night. I made up the raw yolk with water as mentioned before I saw the comment about cooking it up. I will try that if the raw egg is unsuccessful with my last one.

Back
Top Bottom