How to feed the mamma hen?

morsekathan

Crowing
13 Years
May 12, 2011
Maryland
So, I just put 5 little chicks under my broody hen and she loves them. We put her in a mini-coop late last night and moved the chicks an hour later to make sure she had settled in. That part went great. The chicks all hurried under her and she never even woke up. This morning, they were all still under her and she seemed pretty happy. There is chick food and water in the mini-coop and the little chicks are eating and drinking like crazy - not so the Mamma. She hasn't budged. And when the little girls go out to eat, she is quite upset with them and makes little noises until they go back under her. This is the first time we've done this, so I'm assuming this is normal. What we are worried about is whether she is going to get up and eat and drink. She hasn't moved all day as far as we can tell. It's not that warm out - 50 degrees or so, so the chicks will be cold for a while if she does this - maybe she doesn't want to risk it? The chicks are 2 to 3 days old, maybe one is 4 days. They told us they were all 3 days old, but there is a great variety in size and feathering so it seems that some are older.

Should we pick her up and try to get her to eat? Or is this normal and she'll do what she needs to do.

btw, we are cuted out. Just what we needed for stay-at-home.

So these aren’t hers? If I’m understanding that, she’s not done sitting. She thinks she’s waiting on eggs. She definitely will get up to eat and drink, but you might not see it.

Her hormones have to change from sitting on eggs to brooding chicks. The sounds the chicks make will make that happen but it can take a few days. She may be eating/drinking when you aren’t there to see. She will want to take the chicks outside soon also.
My mama hen took hers out after about 3 days. When they get cold they chirp a certain way and she will stop and settle so they can go under her and warm up. It’s adorable!

Seems like you're right on this. She was eating and moving around a lot more yesterday (day 2) and today, we took the top off the mini-coop and she hopped out, pooped, walked around a bit, had some grown-up food and went back in. She doesn't want them out yet though. I left the door open for a while and she blocked it and there was a lot of angry clucking going on! It's only in the low fifties here. She was pretty distressed while she was away from them, but she did take a little break. All the chicks are snuggled back under her in the darkest, warmest corner of the mini-coop, and everyone is cooing. It's adorable!

Seems like you're right on this. She was eating and moving around a lot more yesterday (day 2) and today, we took the top off the mini-coop and she hopped out, pooped, walked around a bit, had some grown-up food and went back in. She doesn't want them out yet though. I left the door open for a while and she blocked it and there was a lot of angry clucking going on! It's only in the low fifties here. She was pretty distressed while she was away from them, but she did take a little break. All the chicks are snuggled back under her in the darkest, warmest corner of the mini-coop, and everyone is cooing. It's adorable!
Yes she sounds like a good mama. They know when it’s a bit too cold yet. Mine will take hers out even when it’s in the 40s in the morning but they’re a bit older now. They’re fine and just go under her if they feel cold. It’s awesome watching them. I never tire of it. :love

And when the little girls go out to eat, she is quite upset with them and makes little noises until they go back under her.

That means she has adopted them. Lucky you!!!

It's not that warm out 50 degrees or so, so the chicks will be cold for a while if she does this - maybe she doesn't want to risk it?

Some broody hens have successfully raised chicks when it was below freezing. After just a few days the chicks can handle those temperatures long enough to eat and drink before they have to go back under her to warm up. Give her time and trust your broody hen.

Not sure what you are feeding the chicks. Chick feed is probably the best food for her. It's typically higher in protein than what we feed hens but I don't know in your case.

My hens get some kind of layer feed - they mostly don't eat the chicken feed (less than a cup per day for the flock of 4) as they free range, but the chicks are getting medicated chicken feed as well as their mama since they are isolated in their own run and coop with her. I have to say - this is the best thing we have done! I can watch them for hours. Today, she let them go outside and it was just like everyone said; after a little roaming around, she sat down and they all scooted under her. Came out and she showed them where food was until they scooted under her again. She finally put them all to bed back in the coop after a couple of hours. Very cute. Chicken TV comes through again!

Back
Top Bottom