How to feed two age groups?

Dita Von Cluck

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 3, 2013
Maine
I have 4 chickens. 2 of them are 11weeks and the other two are 17 weeks. Any advice on what to do for feed when the older ladies start laying? Should I keep feeding them grower feed and supplement the older ladies with calcium while the younger ones catch up?

I pretty much just feed an "all ages" food and have calcium out for the layers. The ones who need it seem to eat it fine, and the younger ones just ignore it. Think that is what most people with mixed flocks do and is probably the easiest thing to do if you don't want to separate your girls into age groups to feed.

Really, the only feed that is highly specific is Layer. The double dose of calcium is only intended for a laying hen who can expel all that calcium by laying an egg most every day.

Starter (non medicated), Starter/Grower, Grower, All Flock, Flock Raiser, etc. Any of these feeds can be fed to birds of whatever age. Personally, I'd prefer a protein level of around 18-20 percent if I was going to buy a "a feed for everyone" type of product.

Back
Top Bottom