How to fix crack in plastic waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sunny Side Up, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I use the galvanized metal waterers in most of the pens, but like to have a few of the 1-gallon plastic ones on hand to use when needed. The Fla sun is very harsh on the plastic, and causes it to crack.

I have a few that only have a crack on the top. Is there anything I could apply over the crack that would seal it? I've tried my trusty duct tape, but even that doesn't give a really good water/air proof seal. Once air can get in through the top, the water comes pouring out the bottom.

I'm thinking there is some kind of silicone sealant in a tube that I could squeeze over the crack which would hold it tight once it dried. It would also have to be non-toxic so it wouldn't contaminate the water for the chickens.

Please share your advice. My thirsty birds & I all thank you! [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    maybe the glue you use to fix aquariums with? They make a silicone sealant that's safe for that purpose so might be safe for a waterer also...

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Yep aquarium silicone. Completely nontoxic and will seal up most anything. Unfortunately walmart doesn't carry it anymore. They use to have cheap tubes and I always kept one on hand. GE makes one that also works but I don't remember which. You need one without the antimildewing agent that most silicone contains. I'll see if I can find the number of the safe one from GE. Otherwise try a petstore or any place that sells fish to find aquarium silicone. One warning it takes practice to use it without making a mess and does not wash off anything you get it on (waterproof). I have a pair of jeans with 3year old silicone streaks from the first tank I tried to reseal. It does not come off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by