how to fix pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken wild 98, May 20, 2011.

1. Chicken wild 98

Chicken wild 98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I'm new to chickens & one of my chicks has what i think is pasty but.

thx for the help [​IMG]

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I just took mine to the sink and ran warm water at a gentle stream over her backside while using a paper towel to gently wipe away the crusty stuff. It'll take a minute or two, then pat dry, give the chick a little snuggle, and return to the brooder.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    You are going to have to clean the vent area ASAP. You will have to keep checking and cleaning as needed. Some people add a bit of organic apple cider vinegar to the water and claim it works well. I keep a dish of sand in the brooder with seems to prevent it entirely.

Search "pasty butt" in the search box for info on the apple cider vinegar dosage. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Quote:I did this exactly after 2 days of messing with it and not really having much luck with a rag. Worked perfectly, the chick LOVED the water and besides the fact that the fuzz on that part of his butt was gone and he looked a bit bald, all was well and we didn't have another probem with it.

We will definitely go straight to the sink for our next pasty butt chick!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I wash mine in the sink as well. Then after i dip a q-tip in a little olive oil and gently put in on all the little feathers around the vent. It really seems to keep poo from sticking. Good luck!

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The sink with a stream of warm not hot, water works for me. It usually passes within a week, if the temp isn't too hot.

7. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I do this while holding the chick up so she can see herself in the mirror. Helps distract her from this unpleasantness.

8. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    It's all been said, but just to sum it up:

1. Wash gently
    2. Dry
    3. Gently apply olive oil around vent area.

9. GasMenagerie

GasMenagerie Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    California Foothills
    Dug this thread up when looking for solutions to my new chicks less-than-attractive rears.
    Kinda weird - dabbing olive oil on my chicks. Felt a little like premature marinading. [​IMG]

10. BobbieJo81

BobbieJo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    GasMenagerie, I love your quote :) Ive had my horse obsession for years, and started my quest for chickens 3 months ago with 6 mixed red pullets from my local feed store..followed shortly after with 5 Silkie and 5 Black Dutch banty chicks from a local breeder ..they are now about 5 weeks old and I just went yesterday and picked up 12 more Silkie babies..let the chicken raising begin <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by