How to flush impacted crop w/ water?

devora

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Willits, CA Gateway to the Redwoods
I think my three month old New Hampshire Red has an impacted crop. The crop is full in the morning and she's thin and sluggish. I'd read that they need water (some use oil) during this time. In the past I've simply opened the beak and poured a little in (I now have an eye dropper) but read this is improper.

What is the proper way to administer water to a hen?

Oh thank you for the bump, I'm really getting desperate. This is the advice that is confusing me:

Using a syringe and tube, put water gently into the esophagus, behind the opening at the back of the throat that goes to the lungs. Gently massage the crop several times per day, softening the mass.

What is the tube about? How could I possibly know if I'm directing the water in the right place? Do I stand a chance of filling her lungs w/ water?

Thank you for that detailed link.

I used to think I was a pro at handling my chickens but I just don't have the confidence to perform that.It is intense.

But really, thank you. I'm simply not competent enough. Guess I'll stick w/ the eyedropper.

Thank you for that detailed link. 

I used to think I was a pro at handling my chickens but I just don't have the confidence to perform that.It is intense. 

But really, thank you. I'm simply not competent enough. Guess I'll stick w/ the eyedropper. 

Get 16" of aquarium air line and a 60ml syringe from Tractor Supply. Melt the end of the line with a lighter to make it smooth enough for the inside of their mouths and throats.

-Kathy

Eye dropper ain't gonna work, she needs 15ml per pound several times a day. Keep her inside in a warm room and give warmed fluids. I am available by phone to teach you how to tube.

-Kathy

Crop feeding videos

These are using a crop needle, not a plastic tube.

This one uses a tube like I use

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom