how to get broody silkies unbroody?

Montana cluckers

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
we have two silkies that have been broody for a couple of months now. they sit in the same nest box all day and all night, just getting out to eat. one of them has lost a lot of weight. I am sick of them sitting in the hot henhouse all day! how can I get them to be "unbroody"?

There are a number of things that you can try. Letting it go for a few months may make it difficult to break. What I do with my silkie who decides about once a month to go broody is block off the nestbox. I give the other girls a covered box outside of the coop to lay in (they are very good about laying eggs whereever I give them a box). This only takes a day or two for me but I catch it quick. Also, remove them from the nest, when they bo back, take them out again and again and again. I've read something about putting them in cool water, never done it so don't know. Per Storey's guide you can put them in a hanging, wire floored cage until they are no longer broody ( a few days). Also, if you have somewhere else other than the coop, move them there and don't provide any typr of nestbox.
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Give them some eggs to hatch? (I know, I'm no help)

You can try a wire cage up on blocks so air flow gets underneath. Give her food and water, but no nesting material. 3-4 days should do it.

I would pick them up every chance I got. Or, take them and put them in a pen with no nesting material. Other than that, I don't know what to offer for advice, but can I borrow one or both, lol???

take off the nest she is sitting on and put wire under it
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom