How to get chicken to lay in nesting box?

Im trying currently to do frequent checks to catch her sitting then stick her in the box. Today I thought I should stick her in early to see if she uses the nesting box. According to physical exam (external only) Goldie one of my Buffs could be the layer as pelvic bones feel two fingers apart. Everyone else seems closer one finger tip. No can’t use space she uses for egg nest as it is sleeping roosting space at night. It’s the back wall of my coop. She digs out a hole then lays egg on mulched area.

Mine was doing that and one of the two excellent posters above earned me that would likely be her permanent nest and I would have to make a change. I lucked out and although she laid 3-4 eggs in a depression she would remake every day in the same spot, now she is laying me 5-6 eggs a week in the nest box with no input from me at all.

Mine was doing that and one of the two excellent posters above earned me that would likely be her permanent nest and I would have to make a change. I lucked out and although she laid 3-4 eggs in a depression she would remake every day in the same spot, now she is laying me 5-6 eggs a week in the nest box with no input from me at all.

I like this. Prayers for my girl to get it in the box.

Put a bucket, or something, to block that spot.

Aart, have you had success with this? I tried it a couple of times but they just laid next to whatever I put there. That's when I came up with the idea of locking them in the nest.

Melky, it is not "stick her in the box", it's lock her in the nest until she lays the egg. Don't give her a chance to escape. Just wanted to be clear.

Aart, have you had success with this? I tried it a couple of times but they just laid next to whatever I put there. That's when I came up with the idea of locking them in the nest.
I've really never had much trouble with laying in other places, except maybe the first few eggs, I think because I've always had older birds showing them the way. But I have read numerous anecdotes that it does work, not a one time thing tho, might take several attempts of blocking and making sure nests are accessible and 'cozy'(thus 'safe').

I've actually had luck retraining 2 pullets to lay in the nest boxes, by simply picking them up and putting them in it when they were showing interest in laying (wandering the spot under the roost where they had been laying). I used my arms to block off the entrance for about 30 seconds until they started noticing the fake eggs underneath them, then waited to see if they'd stay in the box. One popped out once (and I put her right back in) and then ended up laying one box over (though she ended up visiting all the nest boxes, as she moved everything around in them) and the other stayed put and laid where I'd put her. The boxes must've met their approval as both have been reliably using them since then.

Back
Top Bottom