How to get chickens to eat turmeric

Since you're in consultation with a vet, I gave one of my pullets prescription, liquid, meloxicam (metacam) recently. I dripped it into her food dish, and the fact that it was something moving, got her attention and she lapped it right up. It's for arthritis, my chicken ate it very readily, and it got her relief from her hock injury.
Yes that’s was an option but I wanted to try a natural route first

I've successfully fed my hens with turmeric paste when mixed with scratch grains. Have you tried that? BTW the hobbyfarms link to make turmeric paste is probably not the best way to do so. To enhance the potency of turmeric, try this method below which I have adapted from this publication (see link):

Turmeric Paste Recipe
=====================
The turmeric paste was prepared with freshly prepared turmeric powder, freshly ground black pepper, water and virgin olive oil at the ratio of 60g of turmeric: 2 cups of water:
1 to 2 teaspoon of black pepper:70mls of extra virgin olive oil, With this measurement, the mixture of turmeric and water were cooked for 10minutes. Olive oil and black pepper were
added at the end of the cooking. The golden paste was allowed to cool and appropriate dosages were calculated and given to the birds. Store in the fridge for 1 week.
Ok I will try that, thanks

I feed my chickens turmeric daily. It is a great anti-inflammatory. I use the powdered root and mix it into their fermented grains which are wet after being decanted, so the turmeric sticks to the grain. Never had a chicken or turkey refuse to eat it.
If you're feeding pelleted, try moistening the pellets and mixing it together.

Back
Top Bottom