How to get chickens to return to coop after free ranging

I dont have alot of toruble with my little flock, I do have a couple of hold outs once i awhile that I have to fish off my time out coops. I have a game hen and a brahma that prefer the tree behind the coop. I leave them there, its better than hurting them try ing to pull them off the limbs. I always go out at twilight and do a head count check to make sure they are the only thing in the coop and lock-er up. I do put fresh water and food in the coop right before dark.

"Putting up" chickens after they've been let out is pretty much impossible. I just wait 'til dark when they go to bed, then lock them up.

The only ones that I have trouble with at night are the four juvenile chicks that want to play "make me", "hide and go seek", and "it's too soon" every night when I want to close the run's door. Honestly, I think it's a nightly ritual to them to wear out the "big giant".

i bring out a broom....tap it on the ground and say "come on girls" seriously it works. ive been doing this since i started letting them free range.
i started baby steps...30 minutes a day. then locked them up in the run...then it got longer, as the trust between me and the chickens began.
its easy to do.
i am very proud at the fact, my chickens know me and my voice. i feel blessed.
wink.png
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Mine love bread too.

I am the OP . . . .Today, I caught a few of them and took them to the area I wanted them to free range in. It was on the otherside of the coop. They did it for 20 minutes or so and you could tell they wanted to get back in the coop with thier friends. So, I made the clicking sound that I normally make when I want them to come to the fence for a fresh "Bug" treat. The girls slowly followed me around the coop and back into it.

I think next time, I will make the same clicking noise and have bread with me to hurry the return trip.

I did it! First time free range.
Well, just about an hour before sunset.
They went all over the place...
I thought I could put them in but my daughter put a couple of them in the coop and then others followed.
I will bring bread tomorrow for just in case.

Ha, today someone didn't prop the door to the chicken coop open (its a human door, and it usually gets propped open on a rock during the day so they can come and go as they please) and I was out until after dark. When we got home, all 4 EE hens had roosted on the ground outside the door. I opened the door for them, but they were all sound asleep LOL so I had to pick them up and stick them on the roost inside. They made a big caffaw after being put inside but it was still a little hilarious.

What I find works best for getting them in the coop if they're being stubborn is a bit of layer crumbles. You shake them and put them on the floor. For some reason they seem to think that because its not in the feeder, its this awesome new treat haha. We did this with BOSS over the winter and cracked corn when we could get it (everyone was sold out).

Last edited:
I have older hens who know the routine and go to the roost at sunset. The younger pullets have been free ranging for about 2 weeks. They still haven't figured out where to roost. Some of them do go inside the coop and onto the roost. But, I have to move about 8 of them every night. They like to get on top of the run. If I try to move them before it's dusk out, they will scatter. I went out tonight at 8:40 and it wasn't dark enough yet, they scattered like crazy. I have to wait until 8:50 and they're all settled and ready to sleep. Eventually, they'll figure out where to go and will be there on their own.

Back
Top Bottom